Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beach Trip Inspired Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

A weekend camping trip to Newport, OR has left me in a bit of a beachy mood!  I decided to freshen up the corner kitchen cabinet with white, silver and a splash of aqua for a bright, summery and coastal feel! 
The Glamis Castle roses are in bloom and spread throughout the cabinet add romance to the vignette, not to mention amazing fragrance!
I found a few of these sweet little silver frames while out thrifting this week.  I'll work 2 of them into a display for the shop and keep one for home for my favorite photos from last weekend's beach trip.
I have a couple of confessions to make.  First of all...I actually shimmied this cabinet out of it's corner and up next to the window in order to maximize the best lighting for photos!  I don't know how some of you talented photographers get such wonderful photos of rooms in your homes!  Do you have professional lighting equipment?  The only place I am successful getting photos is right up next to the window.
I also wanted to share that this grouping is put together primarily with badly chipped, cracked and broken china!  These were pieces that I either bought without checking over carefully enough (happens all too often) or that were too pretty to pass up in spite of their imperfections!
The teacups all have chips or cracks but came in sets with several that were in perfect condition.  I sold the perfect ones, and kept the others.  For some reason I have a hard time throwing out chipped or cracked china.  In this case, I'm glad I held onto these pieces...I am enjoying my pretty cabinet display put together with discarded treasures!
I paid $1 for this gorgeous old Limoges gold and white pitcher.  It has been broken and poorly repaired.  Thankfully, the repair shows only on one side and it was fixed well enough that it holds water and makes a beautiful vase!
Here are a few of my favorite photos from our beach trip!  It was mostly a little chilly and windy but we enjoyed one warm sunny afternoon in the sand and a lot of time wrapped up in blankets next to the campfire roasting giant marshmallows!
Thank you for your sweet visit today!  I'm sorry I'm a bit behind in posting this week!  I'm sure I don't have to tell you moms out there how much work it is taking little ones camping!  Four days later and I am still doing laundry, putting camping gear away and cleaning sand out of shoes and bags!  I am sure the memories made are worth all of the efforts!  That's what I keep telling myself!  I'm off to fold more laundry!  Have a wonderful weekend!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

I'll be joining in on these fun parties:
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Transformations and Treasures at Pink Postcard
Treasure Chest Friday at White Ironstone Cottage
Inspiration Friday at The Picket Fence
Home Sweet Home Friday at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home

19 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful family and your trip looks like it was fun. That is funny that you moved furniture to get a good photo. I don't know how some people do it either. Any way it looks awesome! I love how you have decorated it. Now go move it back and watch your back;) lol Have a beautiful weekend:)
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous pictures of you and your family. My favorite thing is to use pitchers for vases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cabinet and all your pieces are lovely. The beach is a great inspiration (despite the never-ending grains of sand!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about throwing away old china. You can always re-purpose it into other volley things, just as you have done!

    Looks like you all had a wonderful holiday-what a beautiful family!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your camping trip sounds wonderful! I know just what you mean about it being alot of work, though! Your white cabinet is gorgeous! I love all of your white china. I like to refer to those pieces that may be chipped or cracked as "perfectly imperfect!" Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love your beachey cabinet! I keep broken and cracked china too! In fact I only have a couple of items that are not broken up or chipped...always cheap and makes it that much more lovely I think!
    Your family is just simply gorgeous and boy you are a brave girl going camping! I am such a wimp...a motel is my idea of camping ;) maybe the beach would make it better! Have a lovely weekend!
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda, I'm like you, I just can't throw old dishes out, they're still precious to me. Love your sweet cabinet with those amazing pops of aqua!You have a darling family, great photos! Thanks so much for joining in for VIF, xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, your family photos & scenery are magnificent. Handsome family.

    Loe that cabinet & your treasures. I have to start using my teacups for vases.
    So lovely an idea.

    Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY, for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

    Have a beautiful weekend.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pictures :)
    I really like your blog too :)
    Regards Grete

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving your post today and all the fabulous photos! You did a great job with the lighting! The roses are amazing; but I have my eye on that teacup/saucer... who made it? is it vintage?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are beautiful. I know sometimes we feel guilty about not getting a post out on our blog, I am learning to let it go. I love to post, but life sometimes gets in the way and our families have to come first. I feel behind all the time,these days, but know that I will get it done with a feeling of accomplishment.Love your beach inspiration. Hugs! Florence

    ReplyDelete
  12. The three of you are a beautiful family. Sounds like a fun trip. I am enjoying your blog and the pretty things you show. I also have problems finding good light. I'm sure I look weird contorting my body trying to hold a lamp over something in order to get picture worthy light. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely and charming hutch! Love the touches of aqua from the sea incorporated in your design.
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda,
    What a great cabinet! You styled it so pretty. Yes, I have to move my things to a window too, for the best light. What great pictures of your family on the trip. Thanks for linking it up to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amanda,
    I've been on vacation so I haven't been free to do much visiting other than my tea participants. What wonderful pictures! Love your sweet cabinet! I love using pitchers as vases too. You have a darling family! Thanks for sharing and have a delightful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful Amanda...the cabinet and your family! I love the little silver frames. Thank you for sharing with us at Inspiration Friday!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just discovered you through At The Picket Fence...and I'm so glad I did. Your blog (and cupboard display!) is so beautiful! I love the colors and layers you've put together...And your photography is great. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!