Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Paint a Scalloped Design...So Lovely and So Easy to Do!


There is something very charming and whimsical about a scalloped design on a piece of furniture.  From Cottage Chic to Rustic Farmhouse, it lends itself to so many of my favorite decorating styles


The wood trim at the bottom of these bedside tables had a lovely scalloped design that I decided needed to be featured when I painted them.

 
So as not to detract from the beautiful hardware, I chose to keep the design somewhat subtle and
simple....just a mirrored image of the original scallop painted on the two bottom drawers brought out the charming detail of these pieces.   



The lovely green is Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan in Versailles and the scallops were done in a 50/50 mixture of Paloma and Old White.
 
 
  I finished it off with Annie's clear wax and a fair amount of her dark rustic wax to give these pieces a charming time-worn look.
 
 
Just before waxing, I distressed some of the edges where natural wear might occur with my fine-grit sanding sponge.
 
 
Can't you just smell the heavenly fragrance of these pretty lilacs?  They came a little earlier this year...a pleasant and unexpected surprise!
 
 
 The technique I used to recreate the scallop design with paint is so simple that I hesitate to even call it a technique!  You may remember that I used this idea once before...
 
 
 
In this post I briefly described my method for painting the scallop but this time around I took step by step photos for you so that you can see for yourself just how simple it is to do!
 
 
1.  Lay your furniture furniture face down on a piece of craft paper, or if it's too large to do this, tape the paper up behind the decorative edge you wish to recreate.
 
2.  Trace the design with a pencil.
 
3.  Cut out the design...don't worry about perfection, especially if you plan to distress later and are going for a hand-painted look!
 
4.  Tape the cut-out design  onto your painted furniture piece with painter's tape.  I used a ruler to make sure my design was going to go on straight.
 
5.  Using a small paint brush, brush your contrasting paint color on, starting on top of your craft paper cut out and brushing up towards the top of the drawer.  Do this across the whole design.
 
6.  Remove the craft paper stencil and admire your handiwork!
 
Side note:  Of course a scalloped design would be lovely on a simple piece of furniture as well!  Look around your home for a scalloped edge to trace.  I have also traced the edge of a plate to create a scallop stencil!  Be creative and have fun!
 
 
 
 
Speaking of handiwork, these pretty little made over bedside tables never would have come to be if it hadn't been for the help of a very talented and handy friend of mine.  You see, when I bought these tables off of Craigslist some time ago, they looked as though some He Man had pryed them away from the vanity mirror that once held them together with his bare hands!  I wish I could have seen the vanity intact.  I probably would not have chosen to take it apart unless it was just damaged beyond repair (I do love these as side tables however, and so am not complaining)!  Anyhow, I knew this was a project that I couldn't tackle alone.  I am pretty good with wood putty and filler but these little tables were beyond all of that.  So, my sweet and talented friend and I did a little swap of services.  I painted a cute little wall shelf for her, and she worked her magic attaching trim, and filling in holes as needed on these tables for me.  She did an impeccable job!  They turned out better than I could have imagined!  Thank you SO much for your help, Angela!!!
 
And thank you for your sweet visit today!  I hope you are having a wonderful week!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda 
 
 
 
 
Sharing this post with these fun link parties:

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed