Monday, January 16, 2012

My First (of many!) Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Makeovers!

Five days ago I received my first order of Annie Sloan paint and wax!  I must say, all of the DIY bloggers gushing over Annie's products were not exaggerating!  I am sold...completely sold!  I have completed a lot of little projects in the last several days, but I first want to show you my favorite piece!  I spotted this sweet little vanity on Craigslist a week ago Friday. 
We were on our way to Mt. Hood to spend the weekend helping out with our Church's Youth Group Retreat.  I called from the road and explained that I couldn't come to see the vanity until Sunday...but I knew that I wanted it and I asked very sweetly if it could be held for me until then.  The woman said no, and I didn't blame her.  She didn't know me from Adam.  She had already heard from a few interested parties and was certain that someone would show up with cash that same day.  I dreamt of those sweet little turned legs all weekend and when we headed back down the mountain on Sunday, I searched my phone for the post...still there!  When I called back, the woman said that she had received several calls about the vanity over the weekend but no one had actually been by to see it!  She wasn't available to show it to me that afternoon and asked me to call back the next morning.  I was beginning to get an idea of why no one else was successful in purchasing this unique little piece!  Determined, I picked up the phone the following morning.  "Can you come now?"  she asked!  Yes!  It was meant to be!  I quickly loaded my littlest guy into my truck with me and headed on down the road!  Included in the purchase of the vanity was this wonderful old oak mirror. 
The woman had thought that it was originally a part of the vanity...but you and I both know that these are two very different styles, and obviously different kinds of wood.  I didn't argue with her.  I loved the mirror too and will surely be able to use it! 

I started this vanity's makeover with a coat of Old White, followed by a coat of 3 parts Old White/1 part Duck Egg Blue.  From there I tapped into my new found knowledge of furniture waxing tips and tricks, thanks to a few extra helpful tutorials from sweet and generous bloggers (see my Paint it Annie! Pinterest Board for links!)  First an overall coat of clear wax, then dark, followed by clear again...and then a whole lot of buffing!  And here is the finished product...

     I am very pleased with how this piece turned out!  I love the color, but can hardly wait to try some of Annie's other beautiful hues!  Thank you so much for your sweet visit! 

I hope you're having a wonderful day!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


Linking up to these fun blog parties!
Sew-Crafty Tuesday at Ruby Jean's
Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Furniture Feature Friday with Miss Mustard Seed