Wednesday, January 9, 2013

When is a Piano Bench More than Just a Piano Bench?

 
I absolutely love the whole idea of using a piece of furniture in an unusual or unexpected way.  I know that the repurposing concept isn't new.  In fact, my grandma was turning floor lamp bases into vanity stools long before the word "repurposing" was chic!  I like to think that I inherited some of her furniture rehab intuition. 
 
 
Anyhow, I saw this simple but well-made, sturdy vintage piano bench at a thrift store last week and considered the possibilities.
 
 
If it was jazzed up with some paint and a Frenchy chic stenciled design, it could leave it's one simple state of a place to sit in front of a piano, to a focal point below a window, or at the foot of a bed.  Maybe it could even sit beside a pretty slipper tub as a place for candles and a good book.
 
 
So, I painted her up in Annie Sloan's Paris Grey and Old White and layered a lovely stencil design on top.  I then distressed the edges and finished her off with Annie's clear and dark waxes.
 
 
She's in my space at the shop now and I am hoping that someone comes along and shares my vision for how a piano bench can be so much more than just a piano bench.
 
 
Thank you so much for your sweet visit!  I hope you are having a wonderful week!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 
 
 
Sharing this post with these fun link parties:

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed