Thursday, April 23, 2015

Sweet Petite Vanity



I've said it before and I'll say it again, I adore vintage vanities.  Everything about them just exudes vintage glamour and romance!  I discovered this very petite piece buried under boxes in a woman's garage where I was picking up another piece of furniture a couple of weeks ago.  I asked her if it was something she was planning to sell, to which she replied yes!  Lucky me!


To the body of the piece I simply applied two coats of a custom mix of 1 part Old White to 1 part Paris Grey.


The beautiful appliques which were all but lost in the original dark wood finish were painted out with a small brush in Old White, Antoinette, Louis Blue and Versailles.  Now they take center stage against the soft, neutral grey background.


After some light distressing with a fine grit sanding sponge, the entire piece was waxed first with Annie Sloan's Clear Wax, followed by a bit of Dark Wax here and there.


I used my waxing brush to get the Dark Wax into the crevices of the appliques to really make them look as though they were painted a century ago and left to weather and collect dirt!


This petite vanity now sits sweetly in my booth at Camas Antiques, waiting patiently for someone to take it home with them.

Thank you so much for your visit!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda



Sharing With:
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
 Friday's Unfolded at Nancherrow
 Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
What's it Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  2. So pretty! I love your styling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Kaisa my dear! Styling for photos is one of my favorite things to do! :-)

      Delete
  3. That vanity is absolutely stunning. You are so good at what you do, I love looking at the pictures you share of your work. When I used to sell at an antique mall a few years ago, dressing tables would always walk out the door straight away, especially if they had a triple mirror likes yours so your love of them seems like it's universal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you, Vickie! Thank you for your sweet compliments! I do hope this little vanity finds a new home sometime soon as I have another one in the garage awaiting it's makeover! It seems I can't pass them up! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  4. The vanity is beautiful! You are so right--that applique really pops now. I hadn't even noticed it on the before and thought you added it. You are so good at coloring the appliques. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy! The fact that you missed the appliques on the before photo makes me feel like I did the piece justice by painting it! As always, I appreciate your comments and feedback!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful piece, I love that you hand painted the applique's in different colours, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  6. The word you want is "exudes", meaning to ooze forth. And, she sure does. I am drawn to vanities, but I probably would never have one (unless it was in a spare bedroom as a prop) or use one. It feels like they need a dainty doily, perfume bottles and powder boxes — all vintage, of course. The color you chose is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. Thank you! And thank you for your kind compliment!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely beautiful, is it still available ??? Seriously ??? I will be moving to Oregon next month so hubby would kill me if I bought something right now ( not another thing to pack and haul !!!) But when we get up there i will be on the hunt because we're going from a 1200 sq.ft house to a 2400 sq.ft house. Send me an email with your info and let me know if you have that and other things available ( = Thanks, have a great weekend, Diena <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diena! Yes, it is still available. I will send you an email. You'll have to let me know what part of Oregon you are moving to! I can suggest some fun places to furniture shop! How exciting it must be to have twice the house to decorate!

      Delete
  8. Oh I love how the appliques are in color! Thanks for joining HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry! Always great to hear from you! Thank you for hosting HSH!

      Delete
  9. Amanda it turned out so pretty! I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela! I love hearing from you! I am bummed that I don't have a post ready to link up this week! Next week for sure! Have a good one!

      Delete
  10. Hi, i 'm a new follower. I love pink too. Your blog is gorgeous. The vanity is stunning.
    Hugs
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alessandra! Thank you so much for your kind comment and for following along! Lovely to hear from you!
      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!