Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Eastlake Dresser Rescue

 
When I came across this poor old dresser in an antique mall a couple of weeks ago, it appeared to have been through a few battles.
 
 
There were lots of noticeable scars and scrappy patchwork fixes.  In spite of all this, I was drawn to the beautiful spoon carvings on the drawer fronts and the overall structure of the piece seemed to be fairly sturdy.  I just couldn't leave it in that store.  It was like a stray kitten and I felt it was my duty to rescue it!  When the nice men loaded it into my truck, the dresser frame came apart!  I cringed!  They offered to take it back, but I just couldn't give up on it!  When I brought it home my husband told me I should have left it at that store, but he humored me and went to work re-gluing the frame.  Once the glue was dry and the dresser was sturdy once again, I went to work cleaning it.  I could not wait to beautify what had at one time surely been a majestic piece of furniture!
 
 
 
 Two weeks ago when I shared my Darling Little Commode Makeover, I ended the post with a sneak peek of the Eastlake dresser and mentioned that I knew exactly the color scheme and where it would go.  I loved the finish I had achieved on that sweet little commode and knew it would be perfect for this piece too!  Well, I didn't change my mind and I am so pleased with the outcome!
 
 
Once again, Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan has rescued a very special piece of furniture that was feeling rather sad and neglected.  I started with one coat of Cream followed by one coat of Paris Grey. 
 
 
After a fair amount of strategic distressing, I came back with a small brush and the cream to accent those lovely spoon carved designs.
 
 
Both clear and dark waxes were applied to complete the finish.  When we moved it from the garage into the house the next day, the kiddos helped me buff it to give it that lovely sheen!  It was so fun to involve them in the process. 
 
 
 Perfectly imperfect... I don't know if I've ever painted a piece that had so much character!
  
 
This special dresser not only has a beautiful new look, but it has a new home now too!
  
 
It works just perfectly in our front room/ craft studio space!  In fact, it's already filled with my collection of ephemera!  This room has been work in progress for a year now and I am feeling like it's pretty near completion.  I've shown you little corners and vignettes over the past several months, but soon I will do a full room reveal, with before and after pics!  I promise!
 
Thank you so much for your sweet visit today!  I hope you'll stop by again soon!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Paint Party at Start at Home

32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  2. Turned out beautifully ... what a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I thought so too! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  3. I'm a foodie, but had to comment on this. What a transformation! I think this is one of the best rehabbing of a piece of furniture ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice compliment! Thank you! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :) Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful transformation Amanda, and the carving on the drawers looks lovely picked out in cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the carvings and knew I wanted to bring them out somehow! I am really happy with how it turned out. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. That is a very pretty dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda, I found you over at Common Ground. I love this dresser! The details on it are wonderful. No wonder it spoke to you and asked you to take it home! I really like that you went back and filled in the details with the cream paint. It looks fabulous.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! I appreciate your kind words! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. I love what you did with the dresser. It's gorgeous. I'm a new follower. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment and for following! I will be by to check out your blog as well! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Wow-Amanda- That turned out beautifully. I love the color and the way you highlighted the carved parts. Gorgeous- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! And thank you for taking the time to visit and leave such sweet comments! You are such a dear! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  10. This dresser is AMAZING!!! I would love you to come link up at my Paint Party going on now
    http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/06/paint-party_26.html
    Hope to see you soon,

    brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice compliment and the invitation to your Paint Party! I am all linked up! So fun! I'll be sure to come back and link up again next week!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! Have a fabulous weekend!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  13. Amazing transformation...you did a beautiful job on the details of the piece!
    Jamie | andersonandgrant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the make over, it turned out beautiful, i would love to feature it, if that would be ok please let me know,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came via Miss Mustard Seed and I love this dresser. I have so many pieces of furniture that are in need of a makeover. I went through the gallery of the furniture you have painted and my favourite is the buffet in blue and white. Your dresser is gorgeous, you can never have too much storage space. Have a nice weekend.

    Kim
    http://kim-lettersfromtheshore.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous piece!!!!!!!!!! You did a fantastic job repainting it!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    I've just signed up for the email subscription. Found your Eastlake re-do through Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday.
    I got wandering through your website and all I can say is: "Wow!" Your Befores and Afters list was incredible - each one seemed to get better and better. Couldn't find the links to your posts. They're probably staring me in the face but I can't find them. Clicking the pictures just takes me to bigger pictures.
    Hope you can help.
    All the best,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amanda this is one of my favorite of your makeovers. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful! I love that color combination together. I have yet to use cream. I'll have to remember this one! If you get a chance I'd love you to share it at my link party: http://www.findingsilverpennies.com/2013/06/silver-pennies-sundays-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Remember to explain to me that you're heading to hold this up! Its so good and so crucial. I cant wait around to read far more from you. I just feel like you know so much and know how to make men and women listen to what you have to say. This site is just also amazing to be missed. Excellent things, genuinely. You should, Please hold it up! Color Nepal, walls nepal

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!