Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Eastlake Dresser Rescue

 
When I came across this poor old dresser in an antique mall a couple of weeks ago, it appeared to have been through a few battles.
 
 
There were lots of noticeable scars and scrappy patchwork fixes.  In spite of all this, I was drawn to the beautiful spoon carvings on the drawer fronts and the overall structure of the piece seemed to be fairly sturdy.  I just couldn't leave it in that store.  It was like a stray kitten and I felt it was my duty to rescue it!  When the nice men loaded it into my truck, the dresser frame came apart!  I cringed!  They offered to take it back, but I just couldn't give up on it!  When I brought it home my husband told me I should have left it at that store, but he humored me and went to work re-gluing the frame.  Once the glue was dry and the dresser was sturdy once again, I went to work cleaning it.  I could not wait to beautify what had at one time surely been a majestic piece of furniture!
 
 
 
 Two weeks ago when I shared my Darling Little Commode Makeover, I ended the post with a sneak peek of the Eastlake dresser and mentioned that I knew exactly the color scheme and where it would go.  I loved the finish I had achieved on that sweet little commode and knew it would be perfect for this piece too!  Well, I didn't change my mind and I am so pleased with the outcome!
 
 
Once again, Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan has rescued a very special piece of furniture that was feeling rather sad and neglected.  I started with one coat of Cream followed by one coat of Paris Grey. 
 
 
After a fair amount of strategic distressing, I came back with a small brush and the cream to accent those lovely spoon carved designs.
 
 
Both clear and dark waxes were applied to complete the finish.  When we moved it from the garage into the house the next day, the kiddos helped me buff it to give it that lovely sheen!  It was so fun to involve them in the process. 
 
 
 Perfectly imperfect... I don't know if I've ever painted a piece that had so much character!
  
 
This special dresser not only has a beautiful new look, but it has a new home now too!
  
 
It works just perfectly in our front room/ craft studio space!  In fact, it's already filled with my collection of ephemera!  This room has been work in progress for a year now and I am feeling like it's pretty near completion.  I've shown you little corners and vignettes over the past several months, but soon I will do a full room reveal, with before and after pics!  I promise!
 
Thank you so much for your sweet visit today!  I hope you'll stop by again soon!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Paint Party at Start at Home