Thursday, June 20, 2013

Shabby Buffet Makeover

 
 
If you follow me on Facebook you may have seen this photo I posted Memorial Day weekend.  My mom and I were on a little road trip to visit my grandma in Eastern Oregon and picked up this shabby old buffet at a garage sale along the way!
 
 
After removing some peeling veneer, I painted two coats of Old White, followed by both clear and dark wax, focusing the dark wax on the corners and edges of the drawers and cupboards.
 
 
The hardware wasn't bad and it was all intact but the finish was unattractive so I decided to paint and wax it for a new look.  I did remove the pulls before painting so that they could be replaced at some point without hurting the paint finish.  There are so many fun pulls and knobs out there to choose from that it's tempting to replace them on an older piece to give it a new look.  On the other hand, investing in several pulls can really add to the cost of a furniture makeover.  Whenever feasible, I stick with the original hardware.  Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan is ideal for painting hardware.  I like to distress it a bit so that the metal shows through, and then seal it with wax. 
 
 
The insides of the drawers and cupboards received a coat of Duck Egg Blue for a fun detail.


 
 

 
This piece is all set up and looking pretty in my space at Camas Antiques! 
 
My Eastlake dresser is just about complete and I am so thrilled with it.  I can't wait to share it with you!
 
I hope you're having a wonderful week!  Thank you so much for your visit!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda 




Sharing with...
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed

29 comments:

  1. Great find and great job! I have my own buffet to redo. Isn't that how it goes...too busy to do your own piece! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Larissa! Oh, but you must make time to finish a piece for yourself now and then! I think it rejuvinates your creative spirit! That'll probably be my next blog post topic! I hope you get to your buffet soon! Your blog is beautiful by the way...I look forward to following you!
      Have a lovely weekend!
      Amanda

      Delete
  2. It turned out beautifully! I was wondering...do you wax the insides of the drawers or just the front? Thanks Victoria :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria! I do wax the insides, but just one quick coat of clear wax...nothing fancy. It protects the paint from being scratched by the drawers contents. Thank you for your kind words, as always!
      Amanda

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Terry! Lovely to hear from you! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous piece of furniture. I couldn't wait to see your transformation. Loving the duck egg blue hiding inside! I'd have those side doors hanging open with a few items on display within. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Love the idea of leaving the doors open with things on display inside! I am definitely going to do that!

      Delete
  7. It looks like you did a great job distressing it, and I LOVE the blue interior! Good luck with it! Take care - Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  8. I love this makeover. I have to remember about painting the knobs. I blue interior was a lovely surprise.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bev! You have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  9. I love doing buffet makeovers! Painting the inside always adds a fun twist too.Do you ever have problems with stain bleeding through? I seem to be having that happen to me frequently lately. I have tried water based primer, oil based primer and clear poly and it doesn't seal the stain in. It's frustrating when I want to paint a piece light an the stain keeps peeking through!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful, Amanda!! Happy first day of Summer, my friend!! Love~Raylene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amanda. I have been admiring your blog. I finally got a similar piece done and posted to MMS today. It is lovely. If you could please take a moment to look at my blog. http://repurposedstylebykaren.blogspot.com/2013/06/old-world-buffet-painted-with-annie.html I so need to spend more time with it. I love everything about yours and your work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Amanda

    I love this piece. It's beautiful with the dark and clear wax, but the surprise is when you pull the drawers open. Lovely. I found your lovely blog by chance and I am a new follower. I enjoyed looking around and love for you to stop by www.diy180.com

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Amanda - such a pretty sideboard and i love the blue inside also. gorgeous
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that it is shorter than normal. It is so very cute. Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I am new to your blog and a new follower. I just painted my very first furniture piece and it happened to be an old buffet. Karen at Somewhat Quirky Design came halfway across the country to teach me to paint furniture. So much fun! She recommended your blog to me and as I am an apt pupil...here I am. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It turned out so nice Amanda! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's gorgeous, and I have just the place for it, giggle. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this !!!! I am here for the first time, but certainly I will here often . Hilsen from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful makeover! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amanda ~ Your buffet is beautiful! I need to learn the technique of just using the dark wax on certain parts of the piece and not all over. I really like the look. Congrats on The Common Ground feature. You deserve it! Hop on over to my blog when you get the chance. I had my baby girl Olivia last week and finally got a post up about it with lots of pics. Have a wonderful week! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there, I was really inspired to find this internet site. The explanation becoming that this is these kinds of an useful post.
    Truly wonderful blog hold it up. Color Nepal, walls nepal

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!