Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pink Door No. 3

 
I've had a little bit of fun today painting and waxing a shabby pink Paris chic door!  As much as I have been longing for a pretty door to lean against the wall behind my chaise lounge, this one is on it's way to the shop.  The thing is, I have three more of these doors in the garage awaiting a paint transformation...and I've decided that this week my shop space needs inventory.  I can wait for my door.  Also, I have been envisioning a slightly larger door for this wall.  Now I'm not so sure.  What do you think?
 
 
Formerly part of a closet door removed from an older home, this shabby pink paneled door is now a statement piece, ready to add charm to any room.
 

I started by painting one coat of antique white in a latex paint.  I am so used to the quick drying of my ASCP that I could hardly stand how long it was taking for this paint to dry!  I got impatient and starting slapping on a coat of Antoinette.  The latex paint still seemed to be tacky, which made the chalk paint go on rather unevenly, but being that I was going for a distressed look anyways, I just went with it!  The result was a lot of wonderful texture that really became prominent with the dark wax.  To create the worn away look in spots and reveal the layers of white latex, and then dark wood stain, I took a damp cloth and rubbed gently before the second coat of paint was dry.    
 
 
Before waxing the top panel, I decided to add a little more interest to the piece by painting No. 3 in Graphite chalk paint.  I lightly distressed it with a piece of sand paper before completing it with the wax.
 
It's a bit shabbier than my usual style but I love it and I am loving how it plays off of the more formal furniture in my front room.  I can't wait to work it into my display at the shop!  Now, I have a few more pink pieces to wax this afternoon that should pull the whole look together.  Time to head back to the garage!  I will be praying as I work...I have friends and family on my heart who need help and healing today. 
 
Thank you for your sweet visit.  Take care!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 
 
Sharing this post with these fun link parties:

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed