Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pink Door No. 3

 
I've had a little bit of fun today painting and waxing a shabby pink Paris chic door!  As much as I have been longing for a pretty door to lean against the wall behind my chaise lounge, this one is on it's way to the shop.  The thing is, I have three more of these doors in the garage awaiting a paint transformation...and I've decided that this week my shop space needs inventory.  I can wait for my door.  Also, I have been envisioning a slightly larger door for this wall.  Now I'm not so sure.  What do you think?
 
 
Formerly part of a closet door removed from an older home, this shabby pink paneled door is now a statement piece, ready to add charm to any room.
 

I started by painting one coat of antique white in a latex paint.  I am so used to the quick drying of my ASCP that I could hardly stand how long it was taking for this paint to dry!  I got impatient and starting slapping on a coat of Antoinette.  The latex paint still seemed to be tacky, which made the chalk paint go on rather unevenly, but being that I was going for a distressed look anyways, I just went with it!  The result was a lot of wonderful texture that really became prominent with the dark wax.  To create the worn away look in spots and reveal the layers of white latex, and then dark wood stain, I took a damp cloth and rubbed gently before the second coat of paint was dry.    
 
 
Before waxing the top panel, I decided to add a little more interest to the piece by painting No. 3 in Graphite chalk paint.  I lightly distressed it with a piece of sand paper before completing it with the wax.
 
It's a bit shabbier than my usual style but I love it and I am loving how it plays off of the more formal furniture in my front room.  I can't wait to work it into my display at the shop!  Now, I have a few more pink pieces to wax this afternoon that should pull the whole look together.  Time to head back to the garage!  I will be praying as I work...I have friends and family on my heart who need help and healing today. 
 
Thank you for your sweet visit.  Take care!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 
 
Sharing this post with these fun link parties:

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed

25 comments:

  1. Oh- That is SO SO SO very cute- I just love it- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done a couple of these doors. Mine are white with distressing, but I'm loving the pink! I may change one of them. I love this size door. Of course the larger ones are pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, what a beautiful idea! I am redoing our daughter's room for her 10th birthday, and a pink door would look amazing, as she has chosen a French inspired design for her room. I am going to go look for a door this weekend. I am your newest follower. Would love for you to follow me back. I'm new to blogging, and am loving all of the inspiration! My blog is at maddiebellahome.blogspot.com


    Blessings to you!

    Betty (Maddiebella Home)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! What a transformation. No 3 adds the final touch to a gorgeous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous! Already pinned - ( and inspired to redo my door )
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love touches of pink. Your door turned out really gorgeous! I'd love it if you linked this to my new linky party!

    Have a great weekend!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this charming door, Amanda!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. so yummy, it looks gorgeous behind that wonderful chaise lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way this pink door turned out! Beautiful finish! I think you're right about using a bigger one behind your chaise. That just means a fun hunting trip in search of the perfect sized door! I love pink and this door is just perfect! Prayers to your family and friends in need. Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  10. How pretty! I love the pink door, that finish is just lovely! And that shade of pink is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amanda, I love the door. The distressing makes it perfect. I've been putting numbers on things and it seems to just finish the look. I really like the font you used.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lamp is amazing. Really nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful transformation...it looks perfect in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so charming!

    popping over via miss mustard seed and hope you'll stop by when you have a moment.

    smiles to you and happy weekend.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amanda, I am going to the flea market next weekend to see if I get as lucky as you did and find a wonderful looking door for my daughter's Parisian bedroom. I love the color you used too! Where can I purchase Annie Sloan paints? Do you know if they are available at the big home improvement stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, or do I have to special order them through a specific company?

    Have a wonderful weekend, and sending prayers your way.

    Blessings,

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie Sloan products are only sold in small boutique type shops. I am sure there is a distributer near you. If you go to www.anniesloanunfolded.com, there is a retailer search. Good luck and have fun!
      Blessings,
      Amanda

      Delete
  16. This looks soooo pretty!! I'm so glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower ;)
    Jamie ~ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just beautiful! Poetic, romantic. Why is it that we could just roll in pink this time of year? :-) Truly, it is soft, vintage, loveliness. I love your creations. Keep the faith.
    Blessings,
    Fiordelisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. p.s. I've been pondering adding Antoinette to my Annie Sloan collection...pondering the color. This project makes it look undeniably beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! This door looks amazing! Did you paint it yourself? The distressed look on your door is a real statement piece. It looks as if it came out of a vintage shop from the 80's and I am really loving it! I can imagine this being my bedroom door and I'm sure that all of my girl friends will be jealous!

    Sandra Ludwig

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Door no. 3 made a good accent to your room, Amanda! I’m so impressed on how you turn the polished and unscathed mahogany door into distressed but good-looking pink door. It’s so amazing! It can be a good replacement for the front door, or patio door perhaps?

    Marla Hinds

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your creation is really a statement, Amanda. The distressed design of the door No. 3 is very lovely. It can bring a vintage atmosphere to your room. However, I still like the mahogany door.

    William Gulliver

    ReplyDelete
  24. it looks gorgeous behind that wonderful chaise lounge.online bed sale UK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!