Thursday, June 21, 2012

It's a keeper...


Last week I shared the beginnings of a room transformation.  Our former formal living room which was so seldomly used and that had been furnished with a lot of Victorian hand me downs was stripped bare for a fresh start.  Hoping to create a comfortable, less formal sitting room which would also function as my studio, I painted this dresser/credenza last week to hold art and craft supplies.  I wanted to do something new and unique with the paint treatment but decided on the same Paris Grey accented in Old White look that I used for the Pemberley Buffet.  The colors turned out to be perfect for the piece and for the room.



I realize that the before photo doesn't make this piece look as pathetic as most of the pieces I rescue and makeover.  Although this dresser wasn't in bad shape when I picked it up, it was a funny greenish color (not quite cream as it appears in the photo).  It also had a laminate top which wasn't so pretty and was obviously used in a teenage girl's room because it had bits of pink and purple nail polish dried on some of the drawer fronts. 




Two coats of Annie Sloan's Paris Grey and a little dark wax and no one will ever know this once looked like a dated formica counter top!






I love to accent beautiful details on furniture with Old White and dark wax against a bold background.  These details were all but lost with the original finish on this piece.






I didn't do a thing to the hardware.  It was complete and beautiful as is.  Lucky me!





Our new sitting room/studio is coming right along!  I now have a chaise lounge and a storage credenza!  Tomorrow, my husband and father in law are picking up a beautiful 8 ft. long table for me!  I would love to keep going on this room but I think I will stop, for now and focus on a few things for the shop!  Don't worry though, there will be a complete room reveal post before too long!





It felt a bit like a luxury to actually take the time to paint something substantial for our own home.  This piece is definitely a keeper.  I think I am going to enjoy it for a long time!  Until the day I find something I love more!  Hee hee!
It's always fun to have options!



Thank you for your sweet visit!  And thank you for your kind comments and emails!  I feel blessed to have so many wonderful Blog friends!  I hope you are all having a lovely week! 

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda 


Sharing this post with these fun link parties:
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Restored it Wednesday at Restore Interiors
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Party at Shades of Amber
THT at From My Front Porch to Yours
Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse
Link Party at Redoux Interiors
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed






 

25 comments:

  1. I love this dresser! The Old White and Paris Grey are just stunning together. The accents on the dresser are truly beautiful. This really is one of the prettiest pieces that I've seen of yours so far. I'm glad you get to keep this piece for your own home! Your room is going to be so fabulous when you're through with it. ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing find, it turned out beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful Amanda. She`s a keeper for sure.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely a keeper! I love what you did with it, so beautiful.
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so gorgeous, Amanda! I love the two colors together and where you applied them. The details stand out so much better, too. I'm sure this will provide you with some great storage while looking pretty in your new room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This piece is so pretty. Love the combination of colors you used. I see why it's a keeper...for now!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too love the new look. Great job...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dresser is stuning - the details really pop and the hardware is just beautiful!
    I would love if you stopped by my party to link it up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda, I love what you did with this piece! It had some lovely details but your paint job really brought them to life! Gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda, Your dresser turned out great. Love the contrast of the two colors together; really sharp!! Shelly Andrade

    ReplyDelete
  11. glorious!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly an heirloom for years to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paint party, paint party!!:) LUV the way your painting brought out the details.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh it's beautiful! The color combination just makes it sing and that hardware is gorgeous. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous~ I love it!! Well done! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm visiting from Debra's Vintage Inspiration. what a surpisingly inspring first visit. I love love love what you did with your credenza. you created the most amazing piece .
    so glad to have found you.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  17. It turned out beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Creative Things Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. dear amanda,
    i love what you did with this dresser, and your excitement about your redesigned room. your feminine remake of this dresser i do prefer to the girliness of pink and purple nail polish splashes, but that is rather darling, and a perfect place for an annie sloan piece to begin its training in being girlified. :-) beautiful work. you're an inspiration.
    blessings,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Amanda, The piece is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing it at the Open House party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is gorgeous! I love the color combination and what do you did with the top. I did exactly the same thing on a 1930s rock maple table that had a formica top. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You worked magic on this! Gorgeous! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another gorgeous piece! Thanx for linking up to THT!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful wonderful wonderful. Glad you got to keep this for yourself. You deserve it! Just when I was thinking through how you did the knobs you tell me they were already like that. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hello, I found you in pinterest (I am new) just want to know where I could order/how do i create like that for my dining table and curio cabinet?

    ruth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!