Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Skeleton Keys



My grandpa collected skeleton keys.



He sought them out at estate sales and antique stores, pretty much everywhere he went.




When he passed away earlier this year, my mom asked me if there was anything of his that I would like to have, to remember him by.




I am sure that I could find at least one item in every room of my house to remember my grandpa by.  He was always bringing me little treasures...





His collection of old keys and locks is extra special.  It's something that he treasured.






And now, this treasured collection sits in a pretty bowl on our mantle...






where everyone can enjoy it...




This afternoon I let my boys sit on the floor with the pile of keys and locks.  They had so much fun examining them, pointing out the uniqueness in the different ones, and trying to find the right key to open a lock. 



I was pleasantly surprised when we found a match!  How sweet and appropriate that it was a heart shaped lock.  I hadn't even noticed this one until the boys started digging through the collection today.

Someday this collection will be passed on to my boys.  Maybe they will add to it, maybe they will tuck it away for safe keeping, or maybe they will display it as I have.  Regardless, I am sure that they will treasure a collection that once belonged to their great grandpa.  I know that I will forever think of Grandpa whenever I come across an old skeleton key.


Thank you for your sweet visit.

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda



Sharing this post with these fun link parties:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
THT at From My Front Porch to Yours
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants



16 comments:

  1. This is the sweetest post I have recently read. I have alway love old things mostly because of the stories that they hold and this collection tells the love of your grandpa as well as your love for him. I am happy for you and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, What a sweet post! All those keys are such a neat collection. It's wonderful that you have such a great story and memories to go with them. I can see what your boys were so fascinated too. That key and lock set is the best. Have a lovely evening! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful collection and such sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. Isn't having vintage stuff about truly enjoying it. Stuff is just stuff, but if you have a fond memory of someone who owned it, how you got it or who you were with when you found it...this is why we treasure our old stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to remember your grandfather, and you got a very nice collection there. Thank you for sharing. I am your new fan & follower. www.boulevardelantique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, you have a beautiful bowl of memories there. What a treasure. I'm sure your grandfather would be pleased to see you get such enjoyment out of it and are sharing with others through your blog. I'm sorry you've lost him. It sounds like he blessed your life greatly.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet and sentimental post this is! I love old keys, I have only three or four in my collection. I think it is great that you have this collection that belonged to your grandpa. A very sweet reminder of him, and so wonderful that your children get to play with it!...:)

    I love the soothing color palette you have chosen for your blog! You don't see it very often, or atleast I haven't. Very pretty!

    I hope your day is a blessing,
    xoxo...Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet little hands full of memories.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful collection of old keys for you to have that belonged to your grandfather, fantastic treasures indeed!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a fabulous Legacy you now have to remember your Grandpa by! I Love Collecting Skeleton Keys too... the Small Collections are the best because you can always find room and Purpose for them. Your Grandpa's Key & Lock Collection is great, how lucky you are to be able to have it to pass down as a Family Heirloom!

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  11. since they belonged to your Grandpa makes them so much more special.

    I think we all love them and sometimes at flea markets they are from $1-4 each

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treasure to have - thanks for sharing it with us I use to see skeleton keys in most all the antique/junk shops and at a reasonable price, but not anymore.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amanda, I have a weakness for keys and locks, and these have such a nice and sweet story. I love collecting vintage children's dishes, egg cups...and so on...
    Besos (kisses) from Argentina! Silvina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anch'io le adoro,bellissima collezione!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing such sweet moments from your grand father! I love reading such endearing stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great collection! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!