Thursday, June 7, 2012

Starting Fresh...The Beginnings of a Room Makeover


After almost 8 years of living with a "formal living room" that I have never really been happy with, I am starting fresh and am excited to work towards creating a comfortable space that our family will enjoy spending time in.  I purchased this beautiful chaise lounge from a friend just a few days ago.  Thank you, Diane!  Ironically, she had just bought the "Pemberley Inspired Buffet" from me for her condo!  If I would have known a couple of weeks ago that I needed her chaise lounge, we could have worked out a trade! 

Everything about this chair reflects the cozy, cottage style I love.


My husband gave me a funny look when I brought it home.  Yes, the soft florals are very feminine, but I don't know why he would be surprised...he knows me well enough!  He didn't say anything though, just helped me carry it into the house and set it in it's place.  Last night I found him lounging here, reading the paper.  "It is pretty comfortable,"  he said.  I consider myself pretty lucky to live with three guys who don't seem to mind living with feminine, romantic decor.


Before:



Last fall I submitted a few photos of the room to Debra at Common Ground and she featured it in a design post where readers could comment with suggestions on how to improve the layout and feel of the room.  I received some great feedback and such wonderful ideas, many of which I am putting to use now!  However, I finally came to the realization that I wasn't going to get the look I wanted for this room with the Victorian furniture we inherited from my parents.  I kept buying furniture to coordinate with these pieces (i.e. the coffee table and secretary) hoping to create a cohesive look.  When I see this photo of the room, it reminds me of a scene from Victorian doll's house!  Cute, but not super inviting.  Thankfully, my mom now has a place for the settee and chairs...so, yesterday we loaded them up in her truck and sent them back to her house!  I am hoping to sell the secretary and coffee table soon to help furnish the new room! 


I am going to try to be patient and wait for the right pieces at good prices to come along to complete the look I am hoping to achieve.  That may mean a few months of a big, nearly empty room with a chaise lounge and few accessories in it, but this chaise is so comfy and inviting that the room will still be enjoyed in the meantime, probably even more so than before.




This large ornate frame was a Craigslist find a couple of weeks ago.  After just one coat of Versailles with a little dry brushing in Old White and a coat of both clear and dark wax, I now have a lovely frame that picks up on the green of the leaves in the pretty floral fabric of the chaise lounge. 


I don't think that the frame will be empty for long.  I have a couple of ideas for it!  I will share an update soon!


I think this is going to be my favorite spot in the house.  Looks like it may be someone else's too!



Thank you for your sweet visit!

Be sure to checkout my Giveaway!  Winner to be announced this Monday, June 11th!

Have a lovely weekend!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda



Sharing this post with these fun link parties:
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Link Party at Shades of Amber
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed