Thursday, March 1, 2012

Charming Little Antoinette Prayer Bench (?)


The price tag read "Prayer Bench" and that alone was enough to grab my attention.  Upon further inspection, I concluded that it wasn't an antique...it wasn't even vintage "gasp!"  It did however have the most lovely lines and design.  It was solid and sturdy and it came home with me from the estate sale that Denise and I shopped last week.


It didn't take me long to decide that this would be the perfect first project for that Antoinette sample I had purchased from my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Stockist, Phyllis of A Purple Pear just last month.  I had been saving it for something special, and unique.  This little piece fit the bill.


Truth be told, I'm not completely convinced that this is a prayer bench at all.  I thought that prayer benches generally had cushions.  I guess you could lay a little pillow down on the first surface to save your knees. 


The space between the bottom and top steps is too deep for it to make a good step stool, but next to a comfy chair, it's the perfect height to set a stack of magazines and a cup of tea.  I am curious to know if anyone has seen a little bench/table like this one before.  Maybe you can fill me in on what it really is?


Hmmm...it looks awfully cute in our family room.  The color and style work perfectly with our decor.  Then again, it would be a lot of fun to work into a table top display at the shop.

Decisions...Decisions!


  To achieve this finish, I first applied one coat of Annie Sloan's Old White, followed by one coat of Antoinette.  I then distressed  the edges and sealed it up with both clear and dark waxes. 

Antoinette is such a beautiful pink and I love it straight out of the can, but I am looking forward to playing around a bit with some layering and mixing for a variety of different looks.

I wanted to respond to a question I recently had from a fellow blogger.  She had asked if I had any favorite chalk paint colors to recommend for a first purchase.  Personally, I would start by taking a look at the projects you are planning to tackle.  A piece of furniture may speak to you, and tell you exactly what color it desires.  Another great way to decide is by perusing Pinterest and project/decor blogs for pieces similar to yours in finishes that you are drawn to.  I have a pinterest board titled "Paint it Annie" where I have been collecting chalk paint inspiration from all over Blogland.  It has helped guide me in making my own ASCP purchases.  Once you've chosen a color, I would recommend also purchasing a quart of Old White.  You will be amazed at how many different looks you can achieve by mixing a color with Old White, dry brushing one on top of the other, layering and then distressing to allow one or the other to show through, or simply adding a bit of white or color to the finishing clear wax.


Last week I shared some projects that I had painted with a mix of Scandinavian Pink and Old White, including this vintage bread box. I had a couple of readers assume that I was using Antoinette.  Scandinavian Pink on it's own is a dark salmon color, bordering on orange. When I mixed it with a lot of Old White (about 4 parts to 1), I was able to get a lovely soft peachy pink color...very different from Antoinette. 

   
Antoinette is a gorgeous pink, slightly more lavender than peach. 
I adore them both!


It's the first day of March, and we have snow!  It's hard to believe that Spring is so near, but I am hopeful!  My mom surprised me with several of these beautiful little ruffly primroses last week.  As soon as the ground thaws, I will plant them in our front flower beds.  Until then, we are enjoying their cheerful, colorful little blooms on our front porch. 
Thank you, Mom!

I hope your week has been delightful!  Thank you so very much for your sweet visit! 
Have a lovely weekend!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda




Sharing with these fun linky parties:
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Furniture Feature Friday with Miss Mustard Seed
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants

21 comments:

  1. Turned out cute, but you know what I like? The pinks against the gray on your blog page!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute i love it in pink, i never knew that that was what it was called

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new piece! And the Antoinette pink....so pretty. I think it works just lovely as a little side table; great to stack some books on and sit a lovely cup of tea on the top shelf. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have done a beautiful job on your pieces. It does not matter that the bench is not vintage, it's just lovely and looks so perfect where you placed it.
    Great job,
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Amanda, your project turned out just beautiful!!!! I don't know but if this piece is one of those steps you use to get into a high-rise bed? I may be wrong though ~ I love it as a side table! I used to paint furniture all the time when I had my antiques store and know I would adore this paint. I'm curious, what color would you create if you combined one part of the peachy color...one part of the lavender-pink color and two parts of the old white color ~ I'm just thinking it would be a gorgeous color!!! Then to add and antique glaze over top it would look like a wonderful old pink ~ your mama is an angel for giving you flowers, they're beautiful! hugs and love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not a prayer bench, it's a step stool. My hubby and I imported these very stools for over 10 years and sold tons of them. You did a fantastic job refinishing it...love your color choice! It caught my eye right away!
    I just saw one in a thrift shop last week and almost bought it to refinish but decided not to...now, after seeing yours, I wish I had or I'd kept some of them when we had so many!

    Pretty blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks gorgeous! I love pink.

    I don't think it's a prayer bench either. The kneeler (or bottom "step") of a prayer bench is generally lower to the ground. Looks beautiful, whatever it is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out darling!!! Love the color. I just finished my first Antoinette piece today :) A little wooden jewlery box. I really like the layering though that you did with yours. I hope you're not bummed that it wasn't vintage! : / I couldn't tell by looking at it. It looks great where you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful. Thank you so much for the sweet comments you left on my Antoinette table. You did an excellent job on your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a precious pink table! If it is in deed a prayer bench, it must be for children!
    Have you tried mixing a little paint into the clear wax to tint it?? I may give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a precious little bench and the color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a darling little table! I love it in pink!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sweet~ love the color and how it turned out! Thanks for linking up at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really sweet. I believe what you have is a library step stool..used to retrieve books from the higher shelves. But no matter....I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy your newest acquisition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amanda, you have really made this little piece amazing. It looks like a real antique. I would have never guessed by the before photo. Just love it, and I'll be featuring this post on VIF this week. thanks so much for linking up to the party!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything pink and this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Visiting from Common Ground. Your prayer bench redo is wonderful. Your tips for using ASCP are very helpful. Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in LOVE with that color too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That table looks simply beautiful. It's the perfect shade of pink.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!