Thursday, May 16, 2013

Garden Glamor Shots for a Chandelier Makeover

 
A couple of weeks ago I set out to do a painting demonstration at a local antique flea market.  I wanted to take something out of the ordinary to paint...something that most people might not consider transforming with paint.  Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan works so well on such a variety of surfaces and I knew it was going to give this Craigslist chandelier the wow factor it deserved.  Most of the folks who came by to chat with me and watch me paint didn't seem to be as excited about the makeover as I was, because they preferred the original finish on the chandelier... 

 
Really?  Well, to each is own, right?  I have to remind myself sometimes that to the untrained eye, a piece simply painted in Chalk Paint® before it's been waxed isn't always very impressive.  I feel like I've done so many makeovers that all I see is the finished product now as I am painting away.  Still, everyone I talk to continues to be fascinated with this amazing paint that has no odor, great coverage and adheres to just about any surface with no sanding, prepping or priming required!  I still get excited when I say that!  I hope that some of the folks I chatted with at the sale get a chance to see the made over chandelier, either here or in my space at Camas Antiques.  Maybe then, they'll understand!
 
 
This is a pretty big chandelier.  I knew I'd need to take it somewhere to get good photos of it hanging.  Lucky for me, my mom has a beautiful garden with lots of arbors and trees for hanging things...perfect for the Glamor Shots!  My mom was waiting for me this morning with a ladder and a hanging hook!  Thanks mom!

 
Annie Sloan says not to think too much when you set out to paint.  I try to follow this rule.  I rarely map out a plan or paint sample finishes before I begin.  This finish is a combination of techniques and a whole lot of blended colors.  That being said, it wasn't challenging or overly time consuming!  Honestly!

 
Mostly I dabbed on the paint thickly to create texture.  I also did quite a bit of dry brushing.

 
I started with Duck Egg Blue and Paris Grey, a little here, a little there, back and forth with each color.

 
 
I then dry brushed a mixture of Old White and Paris Grey.  Next, I used a mixture of Paloma and French Linen on some of the edges.  I completed the look with clear and dark wax.
 
 
Never underestimate what you can accomplish with Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint!
I am looking forward to hanging this pretty fixture up in my space at the shop today!
 
 
Thank you for your sweet visit!  Have a wonderful day!  Happy Painting!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 

You can see more photos of my mom's beautiful garden here and here.



 
Sharing this post with these fun link parties:

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Silver Pennies Sundays at Silver Pennies