Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Quick and Easy Chalk Paint Washed Pine Cones


Duck Egg Blue and Antoinette Washed Pine cones
 
Search Pinterest for "Painted Pine cones" and you will encounter dozens of beautiful colorful, metallic and sparkly displays.  They are lovely in their natural state of course, but it's fun to put a festive twist on them now and then.  I have been experimenting with a chalk paint "wash" on my pine cone collection this year.  I have my mom and mother in law to thank for the abundance of pine cones I have to work with as they have been gathering them for me in the wooded areas around their homes.




A twiggy basket of freshly gathered pine cones to give you a "before" shot!
 
 
 
I add about a cup of warm water to at least 2 tablespoons of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and give it a good mix to create the "wash."  Add more paint for richer color, less for a more subtle look.  Here, my littlest guy is helping me create some Paris Grey pine cones!  We used an egg separator to dip the pine cones.  This was a fun project for him.  Most of the pine cones I "washed," I actually threw in a gallon sized Ziploc bag with the paint/water mixture.  The dipping method was just more fun for the little guy...somewhat like dying Easter Eggs!
  
 
Once the pine cones soak up the wash, they actually close up until they have completely dried out again.  I found that if I simply layed them out on a drop cloth, it could take a few days for them to fully dry, but placing them on a cookie cooling rack over the heater vent made them dry out and open up much faster.
 
 
Don't they look lovely under glass?  A beautifully simple sign of winter. 
 
 
I especially love the Paris Grey washed cones with a bit of Spanish Moss!
 
 
I created this Topiary with a mixture of Duck Egg and Paris Grey washed pine cones along with Spanish Moss by hot gluing them to a Styrofoam cone.  I am so glad I got a photo of it when I did because someone picked it up just this week.  I am using some of my Chalk Paint washed cones in my own Christmas decor this year.  I hope to share more with you soon!
 
Thank you for your sweet visit today!  Happy Christmas crafting and decorating!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 
 
Sharing this post with these fun link parties:
 
Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Quite Simply Beautiful Things at Shades of Amber