Thursday, November 6, 2014

Colonial Style Frenchified



 
A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine asked if I would be interested in some furniture that she was just about to post for sale on Craigslist.  Lucky me!  Of course I jumped on the offer.  She and her husband even insisted on delivering the pieces to my home!  Well I think that was the easiest furniture purchase I have ever made!  Right away I knew that I wanted to put a French spin on this traditional Colonial style desk, mirror and chair!     
 
 
For this soft grey I mixed approximately 3 parts Pure White to 1 part French Linen.  Each piece received 2 coats of this custom mix.  Next, I accented details with Old White and Gold Gilder's Wax.  I really would have loved to trade out the hardware for some French Provincial pulls, but it just wasn't in the budget for this piece.
 
 
After some light distressing, I sealed the new finish with Annie Sloan's Clear and Dark waxes.
 
 
The desk and mirror had plenty of detail but the chair was lacking.  I paid a visit to my very dear friend Phyllis at The Purple Pear this week and picked up a few appliques including this lovely pair of flourishes.  Another friend had commented that the mirror that came with the desk and chair looked like it had wings!  I thought to myself, "how fun would it be to add a set of wings to the back of the chair?"
 
 
As you may have noticed, I trimmed up the appliques just a bit to make them more wing-like.  I am pretty much smitten with my Frenchy applique wings.  I will be on the lookout for more furniture to add wings to!
 
 
The desk top was almost pristine and a really nice, thick piece of mahogany...no veneer!  I just lightly sanded a few spots and gave it a good coat of wax. 
 
 
These pieces will be on their way to Camas Antiques next week for the big annual
 
 
I can't wait to give my booth a fresh and festive overhaul!
 
 
 Thank you for your sweet visit!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda




Sharing With:
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
 Friday's Unfolded at Nancherrow
 Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
What's it Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants