Thursday, June 16, 2011

Road Trip! We Break for Estate Sales and Antique Shops!

My husband called me from work on Tuesday this week to say "Hey, I have been watching for a new blog post from you and haven't seen one!"  Isn't it sweet that he looks forward to reading my posts?  Either that or he's really bored at the office!  I admit, I am behind on posting this week!  I had a wonderful little weekend road trip with my mom.  We set off to visit my grandparents in Eastern Oregon and had such a lovely time!  My mom is just the best travel partner ever!  Her words before we left, "We'll stop at every estate sale and antique store along the way!"  Best travel partner ever, I tell ya!  Here she is at a quaint little cafe in the Dalles where we enjoyed a fabulous lunch in the courtyard!
Well, we did stop at several sales and antique stores!  I found some wonderful treasures and took a ton of pictures!  We also had a lovely visit with Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle and Cousins.  Of course the visit wasn't nearly long enough but we enjoyed every minute of it and plan to do it again as soon as possible!  I'll share more photos from the trip in another post, but for now I wanted to show you an inspiration display I've been working on!
This cream pottery vase was the one treasure from our weekend adventure that I purchased for myself!  I love how it compliments the beautiful Eden roses.  I know you've seen a lot of them in previous posts...well, plan to see a lot more because they are my favorite and I have an abundance of them in my garden this season!
The problem with setting up a vignette of items to take to the shop is that I see how lovely it all looks in my home and now want to keep it!  I can just hear my mom now, just as I've convinced myself that I can let it go, "Oh, Amanda...you should keep that.  It looks perfect there!"  I should really pack it all up before she comes over!  The desk has been my "emergency" display table for the shop for a few years now.  In other words, I love it, want to keep it, but periodically take it to the shop and put a high price on it or a "display only" sticker until I find something to fill it's spot.  The little curio with drawer was a recent yard sale find that I just painted this week.  I am loving how the two pieces work so well together!
My mom and MIL both have a thing for penstemon.  Whenever they find them, they buy one for themselves, one for each other and one for me!  I now have quite a collection and variety of colors in my garden.  They are perfect for adding height to floral arrangements.
These darling quail were yard sale finds from the weekend road trip.  They were filthy when I first picked them up, but they cleaned up so nicely.  I am going to have a really hard time parting with them!
Love these old scissors...found at an estate sale in a small town we stopped in for lunch while on the road.  It was one of the dirtiest sales we'd been to, but as you die-hard junkers know...the dirtiest ones often produce the best treasures!  Mom and I stood on the sidewalk next to her pristine SUV wiping down the larger items with antibacterial wipes before we put them on her backseat (the back of her truck was full of plants for Grandma!)  I spent most of Monday scrubbing centuries of grime off of several very cool things...some of which have already made their way to the shop!
I've just added a new pink rose to my garden!  This is "Discovery" from Heirloom Roses.
When I ask to take his photo, he complains or runs off to hide...but when he sees me photographing flowers and such, he hams it up for the camera!  Go figure!
Remember these dark wood pieces I shared with you last week?  Would you believe they sold over the weekend?  They lasted just 5 days at the shop!  I was a little worried that they wouldn't sell as it seems that painted pieces are more popular these days.  I guess I didn't need to worry!

I hope you're having a fabulous week!  I have so much more to share and will do my best to post again soon!  I am sure looking forward to some more treasure hunting this weekend!  I'll bet you are too!  Thank you so much for your sweet visit today!  Happy hunting!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


Sharing with these fun parties today:
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Pink Saturday at How Sweet The Sound


30 comments:

  1. I just love the beautiful vingettes that you've created. I'm guilty of the same. I want to keep everything and I know I can't.
    I usually just take a deep breath and take it to my booth for someone else to enjoy.

    I love all your wonderful treasures. You are so fortunate to have your Mom to shop with. How fun!

    Your little "ham" is a cutie.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely vignette - so romantic! And that little guy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I am surprised but each time you post something new, it is even more beautiful than the last post. You are amazing and a wonderful example for us newbie bloggers! What wonderful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your creamware vase, and you simply can't sell those adorable birds! The roses are lovely too...in fact, this whole post is beautiful...and most precious is your little boy sneaking in with a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy I came upon your blog. Very pretty. I will be back for sure. You did great on your road trip. Sounds like you have a wonderful Mom, how lucky you both are to have each other. Thanks for sharing all your great finds. Beautiful pictures. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amanda, so glad that you and your mom had a good time... my mother and I love to go to estate sales, auctions, and garage sales together, although were both running out of room, as sometimes we tend to keep some of the treasure that we bring home! I love love love your cream vase, and your roses looks stunning in it... well I love everything you have shown, your pictures are amazing.... and what a cute little boy you have!!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Oh did you get my email today?
    Hugs~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda! It sounds like you and your mom had a wonderful time! I'm so missing those antique mall shopping days with my mom.
    Hugs,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are just beautiful, Amanda! Everything in this vignette looks wonderful. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to sell some of your finds. That would probably get me, too, but I guess you can't keep everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Mom is precious! You are lucky to have the time together & that she likes what you do... LOVE the goodies! The old scissors divine. I would love to be up there going to sales instead of burning it down here!
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my heavens your vignettes are soooo pretty! Magazine worthy I am sure. Your mom looks like such a doll, what fun to have a traveling partner! I would love to share flower starts with you, I am so in love with your eden roses!!! Heavenly!
    I do the same thing in my house set up vignettes and then I just have to keep something! LOL! Thank you so much for your darling comments, your visits brighten my day! How fun that your husband visits you too :)
    Big squishy hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Amanda...you have been one busy girl! I hope you are enjoying this lovely Friday...thinking of you!
    Hope to see you soon!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a beautiful post! Your mom sounds like alot of fun! I can see why you don't want to part with that gorgeous desk, so funny how you raised up the price:) And drawers lined with sheet music? Ahhh, be still my heart! Beautiful vignettes, oh, and I love your flower frogs, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet vignettes and the little one is darling!! Of course, I am partial to the pink rose and the wonderful scissors you found,
    Happy Pink Saturday,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your vignettes really are fabulous - I love all the treasures so much.

    Happy Pink Saturday ~ I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun to go junking with someone who loves it too!!!! Florence

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you really love something, you should keep it because you'll regreat selling it someday. I used to paint old things to sell and could still kick myself years later for selling a chest of drawers and a chair that I loved, yet sold.

    All your things are lovely. I love the vintage graphic with the beautiful roses and all the whites look so crisp and pretty. Thanks for sharing your wonderful things with us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely wonderful:-))
    Thanks for stopping by and lovely comment, hugs Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your weekend outing with your mom was near me. I live in Fort Worth. Both Dallas and Fort Worth have a some great junking places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty. I get so attached to things, I just can't let them go. Mr.Dumpling has been known to hide some of his treasures...altho he's such a softie. He usually shows them to me before he "tries" to sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow you have such a good eye for treasures! Lucky finds! I love the scissors - such wonderful detail. I bet you're a great partner to go junking with!

    I get my roses from Heirloom, too - mailorder - and they are just wonderful.

    Thanks for sharing such treasures with us for Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How lovely the desk and curio look together with your beautiful little touches! I adore those quails, so if you part with them I might snatch them up! Love the sweet photo of Dane too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful post!! So many pretty things!!
    I figured those beautiful stained pieces would sell. Not everyone likes the painted shabby look!

    hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amanda! You did wonders with the finds from the weekend. Very pretty as usual, but i really enjoyed seeing things BEFORE you fixed them up. Glad you had that time with your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Amanda, I love your Eden rose and will never tire of seeing pics of it. It's on my list to purchase. Love those cabbage roses! Your comments about your mom are so sweet. So great that you could take a shopping road trip together. She must be so thankful to have you for a daughter. Love your desk, your display, and that vase is a keeper. Your bouquet is gorgeous.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, your blog is beautiful!

    Thank you so much for saying hello at the sale, I recognized you, probably from other sales in the past, glad we finally met officially!

    See you at the next one!

    xoxo
    Solanah

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love reading your posts! The photos of all your sweet treasures are pretty. Treasure-hunting is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh--how totally breathtaking!!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  28. More gorgeous photos. I love them all. My husband also follows my blog but I think it's so he can keep a critical eye on what I write about him. Male pride and all.

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!