Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Are You Shocked?

Well, I surprised the heck out of myself when I made the offer on these two totally-not-my-style pieces of furniture!  They are dark wood and I have no intention of painting them (though the thought definitely crossed my mind!)  It was the intricate carved detailing that drew me in and I knew that if I passed on these, I would regret it.  Standing alone, they looked a bit masculine, but I had a feeling that with some romantic touches, they would work with my feminine style.
Time and time again, girlfriends say to me..."I would love to decorate my home in a soft, pretty romantic style, but my husband just won't have it!"  Here is a great example of how two very different styles can compliment one another and suit everyone!  My husband definitely approved of this purchase and would have liked to have kept the desk but our house is pretty full and at this point I don't have anything I'm ready to part with to make room!  So, I added these two  antique beauties to my shop space last night.
After much anticipation, my favorite Eden roses are finally in bloom!  I think this pretty teapot bouquet could make any piece of furniture look elegant and romantic!
Book bundles!  I was hesitant to rip covers off of books, but I did it and have to say...I love the look!  Thank you to all of you lovely blog buddies for the creative inspiration!
A couple of the desk drawers had numbers stamped into them...how cool is that?
I wasn't able to find a lot of information on the Internet about this furniture specifically but I did confirm the manufacturer, Life Time Furniture of Grand Rapids, Michigan and that they were made between 1920 and 1930.  I love researching vintage finds!  I just wish I knew more about these pieces!
The carving on these cabinet doors is what initially attracted me to this piece.  And then, the doors were opened and I got excited about all of the storage and display possibilities!
Remember when I said I had bought a box of sheet music last week?  I finally dug into it and just look what I found...Printed in Paris, 1933! 
More unusual storage and organizing possibilities in the dresser cabinet.
And here are a couple of shots of my display at the shop after a few hours of fluffing, rearranging and doing my thing last night!
I had my doubts...I really did.  But after adding some feminine accessories and surrounding them with creamy, romantic pieces, I am pretty happy with my latest furniture purchases!  

Thank you for your sweet visit today!  I hope you are having a lovely week so far!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


Linking up with these fun parties:
White Wednesday at Faded Charm
Treasures and Transformations at Pink Postcard
Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at Blue Creek Home
Vintage Inspiration at Common Ground
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home

36 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    Sometimes we find pieces so wonderful that it's best not to paint them. I like the mixture of the natural wood with the painted pieces and adding soft, romantic touches.

    Very pretty.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mix of dark pieces of furniture and I think they actually show off vintage lines much better than shabby, white, cream ect. Beautiful finds you have there. I have dark and light antiques mixed and prefer them that way. Good thing we all like different looks, enjoy. I loved the post! Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous pieces, Amanda! I love the contrast your lace and flowers provide. You are an inspiration. Keep shopping for those of us who don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, You made a good choice in buying these pieces for your booth. I'm sure they'll sell quickly- both are very attractive. I have toyed with the idea of a booth space. Trouble is, there are no really good "malls" here. There are the real "antique" places, but nothing like where I would like to shop for goodies and pretties. And the one place that is local takes a large percentage cut on top of the monthly rent. You better sell, sell at this place. I always wondered why the vendors' prices were higher than at most other shops. I'll just keep waiting til someplace nice opens up, I guess. :-) Glad you visited today!
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda, you did good buying those 2 pieces, they are so pretty! I think it's fine to mix 1 or 2 dark pieces with the white's. Love your roses, their absolutely gorgeous....and I also love the books without their cover, I went to an estate sale this past weekend and purchased several old books just so I could take the covers off of them, I love the look of it! Hope you have a wonderful week
    Hugs~~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! You made them look absolutely stunning and MUST HAVES!

    You are good. Very very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty Amanda~~
    Happy White Wednesday :)

    What a fabulous cabinet and table~~beautiful cravings!

    Looks like you have a nice size shop too.

    Happy hunting and selling!

    Kay Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pieces and they look wonderful in your booth display!!

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I think they are quite lovely!! They look great with your pink and feminine goodies. I like the contrast of the dark, and I think they have so much detail and character! Great photos, as always!! Did you go to the Farm Chicks? I couldn't make it, unfortunately. Too busy getting ready to move!
    Have a great week!
    ~xo/michelle~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new pieces you have added, and yes adding the romantic touches, definitely softens them. Florence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are beautiful pieces! I love light colors too, but these dark colors are what work well in my house, being a 1920's Bungalow. I've learned to embrace them. I have a lot of pink sparkly things on my dark buffet :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pieces. I'd love to shop in your lovely booth. You have such a knack for wonderful displays. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  13. What Fabulous Treasures, I am sure they will go quickly in your shop.... I have to say Your Roses are so Beautiful, at first I thought they were a type of peony~ How Sweet!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your new pieces and how you have softened them up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found ur blog and I must say I have been on it for over an hour of course not getting anything done!!! I have just become your new follower!!! Hugs from Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice furniture and a little lace and flowers go a long way to soften them up. I love to paint furniture but my husband hates it...so we have to compromise too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks great, I think that a contrast looks good....all white, or whatever, can be kinda boring...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad you linked these lovely wooden pieces to my party. I think they are perfect as is. It's hard not to paint everything white these days, but I think you did the right thing by these.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great finds!!!1 I'm loving your roses....they look stunning in your boquet:-)

    Your booth looks lovely as well.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh so wonderful!!!!

    i could NOT be any happier to hear you are NOT painting them, thank you, and the beautiful wood thanks you too!

    so wonderful to see someone that doesnt have to smother beautiful, good, wood and hide its aged character.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a great blog! I am your newest follower:) Although I like light colored painted things, some pieces are just meant to stay natural. I'm with you:)
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think those pieces are just gorgeous and sometimes , I think it is best to leave them in their natural finish. Various wood finishes and add depth and character to a piece and as you have shown with the vignettes that you created on top of them,utter beauty! Well done!! They look very rich!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your shop space is so inviting, It looks like a cozy corner in someones home - just lovely, and your display makes it so easy to imagine the furniture in ones own home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have an antique cocktail cabinet and a monk's bench both in that linenfold dark wood. I love the way they mix in with my stuff too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the look of the dark wood with the feminine stuff on top. It really is beautiful.

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  26. great photos and I love the romantic look
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your very samrt to purchase those two pieces. They look great with the soft feminine things on top.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely... love the roses!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  29. There are some pieces that are just meant to be in their original state. These are two lovely pieces. My dining room is dark wood, and even thought I've had the itch to paint them, I know that they just need to stay the way they are. such a pretty contrast with all your other things,
    Thanks for linking up with VIF,
    xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  30. gorgeous, Amanda! For all of the reasons you listed above, it's some of the same reasons I've incorporated darker woods into our home! (fortunately my husband is very patient with my feminine decor!!) but I do try to think of him too. I hope those fly out the door at your shop. If you are ever interested in a flea market / show meetup, I'd love to get together! :) thanks for sharing at Transformations and Treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amanda, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed a photo from your blog. Please let me know if you want me to remove it. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Amanda, I'm coming to your blog from Laurie! Great furniture, but the French piece of music speaks to me! I am a retired French teacher AND a pianist - what a great find! I'm adding a new follower. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Amanda! Just wanted to let you know I featured this project today at Transformations and Treasures! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello sweetie! I too, like a mix in my booth and some at home! These pieces are just gorgeous and I am gasping in awe at your fabulous and oh so tasteful booth! Wowzers it is so pretty and well planned out! I am going to go back and catch up on some more posts!
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Amanda, Love your post, your roses and your romantic touches. I actually like dark Queen Anne style furniture.
    Your booth looks great. I've got to get over there and check it out :).
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love, love the pieces you purchased. Booth looks fabulous. Love the romantic style.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!