Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wedding Cake Dining Room Ceiling

When our home was built 10 years ago (we are the second owners) a former cake decorator was hired to apply a design on the dining room ceiling.  He basically filled his pastry bags with plaster and created a design just as he would on a wedding cake!  Why am I sharing this with you now?  Well, last week when our adjoining living room space was featured on Common Ground's "Design Challenge," a suggestion prompted me to write this post. 
I really loved Debra's idea to swap our living room and dining area.  She was so right about it solving most of my issues with the space.  I loved the idea of a larger dining room, too!  Of course I hadn't shared the dining room ceiling in any prior posts and it wasn't visible in the photos I'd sent her. 
Even after I stood and stared at the ceiling and considered the challenge of moving the chandelier and sconces, I wanted to try the room switcheroo.  I discussed the idea with my mom later that day.  She is my go-to girlfriend when it comes to big decisions such as this!  She assured me that although the idea made sense from a spacial standpoint, Debra would probably agree that the wedding cake ceiling reads "dining room."
It was a really wonderful thought, Debra!  I just thought I'd show you why I've decided to keep the dining room where it is for now.  Of course Debra gave me a lot of other fabulous ideas to ponder, as did many of you!  Right away I started moving furniture around, taking into consideration all of the advice to create a "grouping" in front of the fireplace.  Already I have an arrangement that I really love, and I even edited out a little end table based on some of the feedback I received.  I now know that I need to invest in drapery panels and an area rug and I have some clear thoughts on slipcover colors as well!  It will be a one step at a time makeover but I am truly inspired and excited to have a vision now!  Special thanks to all of you who took the time to comment and share your wonderful ideas!  I promise to give lots of updates as I fulfill my dream of transforming my "Creative Escape."  Coming soon:  photos of the new furniture placement!

It's beginning to feel like Fall around here and it's putting me in a "crafty" mood!  I've been working on some things this week that I will look forward to sharing with you soon!  Also, I hit the road with a couple of girlfriends last weekend and shopped the Coburg Antique Fair for the first time!  We filled my SUV to the brim with goodies and I can't wait to share them with you!

Much more to come!  Thank you for your sweet visit!
Have a lovely weekend!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda



I will be sharing with these fun parties:
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home

7 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda, well this makes all the difference in the world. That is a one-of-a-kind million dollar ceiling, so I totally agree, It needs to be a dining room!! It's just gorgeous! I'm so glad that you found some great ideas and inspiration from the Design Challenge post, You have such a great space to work with, I know it will be wonderful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, can't wait to see what you come up with. Wishing you a lovely weekend!!!
    hugs~~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, your ceiling is very nice. I've never seen that technique used before but it is lovely. Sounds like you received some good advice for your rooms. It will be fun to see how everything turns out.------Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes total sense. What a neat ceiling you have in the dining room. Thanks for stopping by today and for the follow. I'll be following along on your room redo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my darling friend! I love how you decorate and the fluff a duff on your ceiling is just fabulous! For fall there are lots of ways to paint pumpkins and gourds pink and white!
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You truly have an amazing ceiling! All of my chandeliers have medallions, but nothing like yours! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous ceiling!.Im loving the color as well so soft and pretty.I cant wait to see the finished room.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!