Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Change of Heart... About Tiered End Tables


I used to avoid these old tiered end tables when I would spot them while out thrifting or estate sailing.  Something about them felt a little too "trapped in the 60's" for me.  I could just see a pair of them perfectly placed on either side of a crushed velvet orange sofa, with a matching brass lamp on each one.  At some point though, I had a change of heart.  What a great piece of furniture for displaying treasures!  Here are a couple of other tiered end tables that I made over with ASCP this year.  I don't pass by these tables anymore, especially if they have those pretty curvy legs!

 
Old White dark waxed.
 
 
Aubusson Blue mixed with Old White and Paris Grey, with clear and dark wax.
 
  These tables don't necessarily have to be wedged between a couch and a chair, they work well in just about any room of the home, and could even be stacked on a larger table top for another tier for display!  I think this one would be lovely placed next to an elegant claw foot tub!


  To achieve this finish, I started with one coat of Antoinette over the entire table, followed by one coat of French Linen.  I came back and added more Antoinette to the carved details and then distressed here and there to further accentuate the details and to allow a bit more pink to show through.  I completed the table with clear and dark wax...more dark on the legs and carved detail, and mostly clear on the table tops.

 
 
Are you wondering when I am going to get to the pink painted metal lunchbox?  I probably could have done a second post on it...but my time is so limited these days that I am doing good to get one post written each week!  Today's post is two projects in one!
 
 
 Some of you will probably reach for a Kleenex when you see the before picture of this lunchbox.  Yes, it had great patina, perfectly worn and rusted in just the right spots.  I am sure the man that carried his lunch to work everyday in this classic, masculine box would cringe at the sight of it painted pink and dolled up with rhinestones and pearls!  Well, I intend to keep this one.  I made it over for my studio space, to hold craft supplies.  I did like the before, and appreciated the patina but it was all wrong for the decor in my home.  Now it's perfect!
 
 
 I painted the entire box in Antoinette and then added a stripe and painted the clasps with Old White. 
 
 
I then distressed the whole box to accentuate the lines and show a bit of that nice grey patina and applied dark wax all over. 
 
 
 Once the paint finish was complete, I decided the box needed a little bling!  I adhered the vintage pendant with 5 minute epoxy, and attached an organza bow to the top.  Where there was once a plastic handle (and then a dirty old piece of twine), there is now an old charm bracelet that I discovered in a grab bag of old broken jewelry.  I don't know exactly what I will store in my pretty new box yet, but it looks lovely on my studio shelf!
 
 
 This sweet little mirrored dresser tray is headed to the shop this evening, along with the tiered table and a few other fun little treasures!
 
 
I came across this religious medallion at the same estate sale where I found the hymnals, dresser tray and lunchbox!  I thought it would be fun to add to the hymnal bundle!
 
 
 
 We have a really fun event happening in downtown Camas this Saturday evening!  If you live in the area, grab your girlfriends and join us for "Girl's Night Out."   Go here for more details!  I will be there, in the window of the antique store doing painting demonstrations!  Stop by and say hello!
 
Thank you so much for your sweet visit today!  Have a wonderful weekend!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 
Sharing this post with these fun link parties:
Restored it Wednesday at Restore Interiors
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Party at Shades of Amber
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp
Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Potpourri Friday at 2805
Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound

28 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job on the end tables. I love the colors. I would love to have a lunchbox like the one you painted. Pretty. take care Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a beautiful transformation on something as simple as a lunchbox! You have wonderful artistry talent. I actually have one of those end tables too! I will be painting soon...you have inspired! from one sweetie to another~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful! All of the detail, and the decorations as well. The lunchbox is much better now, I think. I love what you have done!

    Kirsten@madeforaking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love your beautiful shabby PINK lunch pail! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your work Amanda. Oh how I wish I could be your student. You always inspire me, thanks,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there,
    Such a clever idea with the lunch pail, and the table ooh la la. I hope you have a great evening!

    Smiles,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very partial to two toning myself your finish is awesome it is so not trapped in the sixties anymore! Looks more like a piece from the french empire! love love lvoe
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw your picture in Pinterest and come to visit... Love your lunchbox in pink
    xoxo from PARIS
    Joëlle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Table is gorgeous and the lunch box is tooo cute. My Dad carried one like that. I wonder what he might have thought if he saw it looking like this.
    Im now following you. Love your blog.
    Candy
    PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous make-over! It doesn't look anything like its old self! Love how you did the details!

    Love that darling shabby lunch box, too!
    HPS!
    ♥ Jil
    I am a new happy follower

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty pink post for Pink Saturday! I love that bejewelled box!

    Best wishes for a lovely weekend,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tiered tables are indeed gorgeous! Never has a lunchbox looked to elegant! Thank you for sharing your fabulous Fall inspiration and creativity at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda that table is beautiful! LOVE your transformation of that lunch box too! Great storage for a studio and looks beautiful too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love the pink lunchbox! It's fabulous. Stop by for a visit if you get a chance. Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Pink Saturday! Lovely Post!

    xo
    Kay Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply beautiful! Visiting from Pink Saturday.

    My PINK
    Have a fun weekend!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. Of course, the lunch box caught my eye. I have an old lunchbox on display - it's my late grandfather's. If ever I should decide to do something with it - yours is a great idea. Mine is sentimental and blends on the shelf in our house - but I love yours! It doesn't have to have anything in it, just sit there and be pretty in pink! And, I never cared for tiered tables either but you've really done right by them. Awesome! Lovely. Beautiful. Cool. Wow. I didn't look around your blog to see if you join Liz of Brambleberry Cottage - she refinishes furniture and has a meme, Time Travel Thursdays - your pieces would fit right in really well. You can find a link to her blog on my sidebar down toward the end or mid-end - the clock icon for Time Travel Thursday meme. Enjoyed your post. Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My daughter is redoing one of these tierd endtables right now. Like you, thought they were ugly! but here's is turning out OK!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just gorgeous!!! Love the mix of the 2 colors - beautiful job!
    This would go perfectly with a door I just redid, sigh
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like all of it!

    Popped in from HSTS Pink Saturday.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. That lunch box is the prettiest thing I've ever seen! What a fabulous idea!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look stunning!

    You have given me some ideas....

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  24. so cute, Amanda!! I love the lunch pail both ways! :) The bling you added to it is perfect.
    Thanks for your sweet note. Yes, I finally feel like things are back to a normal pace. (whatever that means! LOL!) Now just to maintain that. ha ha
    Have a great week. This month was great BTW! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sooo sweet!! I just adore that darling lunch pail!! What a charmer! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. More beautiful finishes on your tables!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I love your beautiful shabby PINK lunch pail! Stunning! thanks for sharing see more

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article.
    end table

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!