Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Liqueur Cabinet Fit for the Abbey

 
When I saw this Frenchy cabinet with all of it's frilly flourish, over the top detail I knew it just had to come home with me!  I could hardly wait to paint it and get into all of those amazing intricate carvings with some ASCP Dark Wax!
 
 
Though very well made, this is not an old piece of furniture.  I am guessing it is probably from the 80's or 90's based on it's construction.  No one at the store where I purchased it had any idea what it's original purpose was and I had to do some serious Googling to find similar pieces to compare it with.  Originally I figured it was some type of a media cabinet as there is a hole in the back panel that appears to be for cords and wiring, and I still believe that is probably what it was used for at one time.  However, the pieces I came across online were old and authentic and they were actually Liqueur Cabinets.  So there you have it, I am still not entirely certain what this lovely cabinet was originally intended for but I can think of a dozen ways it could be used now! 
 

 
The doors both lock with this beautiful key, another reason why this was probably a Liqueur Cabinet of sorts!
 

 
The body of the cabinet was made over with Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan in Old Ochre while the details were highlighted with Old White.  Both clear and dark wax were applied to finish the look.
 
 
Although there is nothing wrong with painting furniture to make it look fresh and new, I have a tendency to want to create something that looks time-worn, with history and depth and a story to tell.
 
 
In it's original oak finish, it was a dated, cast-off media cabinet. Now it's a stately French Liqueur cabinet that once graced the parlor of a fantastic castle and held expensive bottles of sherry and brandy served by a serious butler to elegant Lords and Ladies.
 
 
I like to dream up stories about furniture pieces as I paint them, don't you?  I also find myself influenced by the movies or TV shows I am watching when I paint.  My mom commented that this cabinet had a real Downton Abbey flair to it.  I liked the sound of that!
 
Thank you so much for you for your sweet visit!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 


Sharing this post with these fun link parties:

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed

27 comments:

  1. that turned out fabulous!! love all the flourishes! It looks gorgeous in it's makeover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amanda it just came out beautiful and certainly looks more aged.. Perfection! - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love everything you do, this one is so pretty!

    I'm no expert, but looking at the grain of the wood, the carvings and the hardware, I'm thinking it might be much older, maybe the 20s or 30s? Anyone else have an idea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda it turned out just beautiful! I dream of such beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Chalk Paint. Your "technique" is beautiful. I love playing with the paint but I'm always timid with the dark wax. Great blog BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this post! I love everything and you gave me some great new decorating ideas about the furniture.
    Dallas texas furniture stores

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of all the furniture redos I have seen on blogs this has to be my favorite. Keep them coming. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful piece! The paint and wax really brought out the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY GOODNESS Amanda, this is just gorgeous, over the top beautiful. You really got the eye for some of the most beautiful Annie Sloan makeovers! Hugs,
    Anne Dees

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is sooo pretty! Thanks for sharing! -- Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! that is so pretty!! Great job! -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you did to your beautiful cabinet, the two colours of paint makes it stand out.
    Hugs,
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work on the Liqueur cabinet! You brought out the details so expertly with your painting. Thanks for sharing. Cheers! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. fancy and friggin fabulous!

    love!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such talent you have. I love this piece and I'm gonna copy it to a new china cabinet I just purchased. Stop by for a visit and see.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amanda, What a beautiful cabinet! The key is so neat! You always do such a great job. So, the darker cream is old ochre and the lighter is old white...I am going to paint a dresser and a little shelf for my nursery in ASCP. I'm thinking old white or orchre but I want the lightest cream possible. I want to paint the back of the shelf and the dresser drawers in Provence mixed with old white. I want it to all be pretty light lloking but sttill look aged. I can't do that with onlu buying the clear wax can I? Do you suggest using the dark wax for sure? I'm also wondering if I can get away with just a sample pot of the Provence color if I want to mix it with the white anyway. Any help that you can give would be so wonderful! I cannot wait to start decorating our babies room!! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful piece, Amanda! Love the colors you used painting it. The detail is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love all your pretty furniture redos and just signed up to follow by email. thanks for sharing all your beautiful work. leslie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amanda, you really are an artist! just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. GORGEOUS!!!
    Where do you find these things? I need to come to the Portland area.....
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw this piece in person at Camas Antiques. It was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I soo like the way your cabinet have turned out! Its outdated look makes it perfect for storing wines and liqueur. And the key is really something. It definitely completed the vintage-y effect of your cabinet. However, just make sure that the locks and keys are functioning well so that you won't get caught in an awkward moment like boasting a vintage wine and then, not able to showcase it because it was trapped inside your cabinet.

    #Rachelle@ULSSecurity.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful. I wish I could find a piece of furniture this amazing! You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've seen a couple (only) liqueur cabinets like this and the hole in the inside back was for a light. When filled with beautiful decanters and glassware, the light shining through is glorious! One lit when the door opened, the other did not.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think ORB was a great way to motivate us to get to our goals - it seems like it went by so fast! I am not to my goal but like the giveaway tank says - Giving up is not an option! =) ... I think y'all should do another challenge so I can try harder and be able to post a "results" post =) Either way you and Leigh Ann are awesome for doing this - great job girls!! =)

    Toshiba PVT-375BT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!