Thursday, July 31, 2014

If This Typewriter Could Speak...


My dear grandma just dropped off this wonderful old typewriter at my house last week.  Ironically, I already had the same Underwood model on display in my studio.  I had no idea that my grandma had one sitting out in her storage unit.  And up until a recent phone conversation, she had no idea I would have any interest in an old typewriter!

 
First she told me to do whatever I like with it.  She admitted that she was just happy to find it a home.  And then she told me that it had belonged to my Great Grandfather!
 
 
He used it everyday.  It sat on his desk in his office.  He was the Chief of Police in a small farming community.  I wish I had a photo of him in his uniform to share!

 
I suppose it's fortunate that this typewriter can't speak, given it's history.  I am however so pleased to have it, knowing that it belonged to my great grandfather...my great grandfather whom when I walked into the room used to say, "Why, bless my buttons!  It's Little Red Riding Hood!  She's come to see Grandma!"
 

As I am much too practical a person to have two typewriters sitting around the house, the Underwood that I purchased a couple of years ago from an estate sale is now headed to my booth at Camas Antiques.

 
Coincidentally, my paternal grandfather's first job was as a door-to-door salesman for the Underwood Typewriter Company!
 
 
Handsome guy, don't you think?
 
 
Thank you for your sweet visit today!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

Sharing with:
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
What's it Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound
 

19 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite a family heirloom! I'm new to your blog and so happy to have found it. I can't wait to check out all your painting makeover projects for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you found me! There are lots more painting projects to come!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful..Admirations:)
    xoxoxo
    Marinela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martinel! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. Love the typewriter and even better that it was in the family for so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Darrielle! Yes, we will continue to treasure it! Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful that you have this! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! Lovely to hear from you!

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that you have your grandfather's typewriter! And he is indeed pretty dapper! Thanks for sharing and blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  6. Let me first say... BEAUTIFUL photos!

    And your great grandfather sounds like a Kindred Spirit. It sounds like he should be a character in a children's storybook or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin! He was quite a character!

      Delete
  7. What an amazing coincidence! It is a beautiful machine in fabulous condition.
    It is the perfect inherited piece! Hope you share at WIW, we love having you!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti! I always enjoy sharing at WIW!

      Delete
  8. Definitely a wonderful treasure to keep. You are displaying it very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special piece of Family History with stories to tell...er...type. As you say, probably better it doesn't, but perhaps it will in the future with it's new surroundings to type about. Your photos are beautiful, and yes, your grandfather quite handsome. How neat to have the photo of him. Enjoyed my visit to your blog. Happy Pink Saturday.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Sue! It was wonderful to hear from you! Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  10. Have you checked the town records for a picture of your great-grandfather in his uniform. They just might have one, considering his importance in the community. I love typewriters, and I couldn't tell you why. But, since other people like them, too, I don't think it's too important to figure out why I have such an attachment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!