Thursday, September 24, 2015

Dresser Face Lift & Thinking Outside of The Stencil



It's been a while since I've shared a furniture makeover here!  But that doesn't mean I haven't been painting!  I am always painting...always!  In fact, I have a backlog of projects waiting to be photographed!  So, be sure to stop back by soon!


This little vanity has been shuffled around quite a bit and finally sold last week!  I painted her sometime ago and had decided to save her for the Street Faire.  When the weather forecast showed wind and rain for the faire, I decided against bringing her to the outdoor sale.  So, into my booth she went late last month and now she's off to a new home.  This left me with some empty space to fill in my booth, so I put all other projects aside this week for a quick dresser redo!


This simple, wood dresser just needed a little face lift!  The color is truly a bit more blue than it appears in the photos.  Please don't ask me how I arrived at this color.  Honestly, it was a matter of mixing up the little bits of blues and greys I had left at the bottom of my Chalk Paint® cans!  I do believe I had 6 cans of Chalk Paint® open at one time only to arrive at something that is probably very comparable to 1 part Paris Grey, 1 part Louis Blue!  Nevertheless, it is a very pretty grey blue!


Here she is all set up in my booth at Camas Antiques.  This photo shows off the actual color much better!
For the drawer embellishments, I manipulated the Floral Scroll stencil from Artisan Enhancements into a slightly different design.  This is easy to do.  Just turn the stencil, flip it over, use it in part, etc...  There is no rule that says you must lay your stencil down and use it straight on!  Be creative with your stencils...take them beyond the original design.


I painted the knobs in Graphite.  I typically don't choose a contrasting color for knobs but I had seen a photo on Pinterest of a vintage dresser similar to this one painted a grey/blue with black knobs and I liked it, so I decided to give it a try!  I used a sanding sponge to distress the corners and edges before apply Annie Sloan's clear and dark waxes, and then she was complete!


If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you've likely seen this beautiful bloom!  It's called a Cafe au Lait Dahlia and although I wish I could say I had rows of them blooming in my own garden, I don't, I discovered these beauties and many more gorgeous varieties at a flower farm just up the road from me!  Check out Petala Flowers on Instagram and tell Sharika I sent you!  Her flowers are amazing and I am so lucky to have her close by!


Thank you so much for your sweet visit today!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


Sharing With:
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
 Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed



3 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness!!! You do stunning work! I love what you have done with this (and all) piece! I would be so happy if you would share some of your pieces over at my Making Broken Beautiful party today! I love your style!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How you manipulated your stencil is so smart and with wonderful results. I have manipulated stencils for long time but I like to go against what is usual, little bit of rebel in me I guess. Don't like to be pinned down to others rules either. Where all that rebellion came from who knows cause my family history is anything but. Drives my hubs crazy sometimes but think he secretly likes it also.
    That little dresser turned out great, when I first looked it looked like more gray than blue but the lighting could have something to do with that and my monitor.
    Sounds like you are very busy lady, that's great for your business and your customers. I noticed in booth photo regarding little dresser on right you hadn't painted it. It looks like a nice little dresser.
    Our daughter gave me little dresser similar to that few years ago which I painted light green with white variations by rubbing at paint as it was drying, gave an unusual finish. Used stencils on front of drawers and sides of dresser which I manipulated for my use. It's time for a change as it's been that way for few years now. Also have a waterfall chif-a-robe I bought in KY that needs new look. Think it's going to be painted a pretty coral color, ( have habit of making up my own colors) so it's exactly as I want it. Hard to duplicate tho so try to make up enuf at time to be able to use color on other pieces if needed. Probably not something to do if I use paint on customers pieces.
    Love photo of you by that jazzy little car. Maybe someday you'll either win lottery or sell so many pieces you can buy one. Enjoy your blog and your projects. Happy week

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!