Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Jane Austen Inspired Window Display

Months ago, I went to my friend JoAnn, the owner of Camas Antiques with an idea for a window display.  I wanted to pull together a look that would be reminiscent of a Jane Austen novel.  I imagined a cottage, furnished with romantic pieces made over with Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan in soft feminine colors.  JoAnn agreed to give me complete creative control of the large front window during the month of May.  Right away I went to work compiling ideas and inspiration, collecting furniture and mapping out a plan.  I started a Jane Austen Board on Pinterest...a great place to pull ideas together!  I consulted Annie Sloan about paint color ideas and I watched a whole lot Pride and Prejudice!  I brush painted and hand waxed everything from the furniture to the chandelier with Annie Sloan products.  I am so pleased with how it all came together.  I am ready to move into this display... Don't be surprised if you walk by and see me sitting at the table, sipping tea!







The quote above the buffet is from Pride and Prejudice:

"If your feelings are still what they were last April, then tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed… I would have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul and I love, I love, I love you.  I never wish to be parted from you from this day on."     -Mr. Darcy















The book pages are from a newer college text book compiled of Jane Austen novels.  I stained each page to make them look like they came from a very old book.  Don't worry, I would never tear up a truly old copy of a Jane Austen novel.  If you're curious about aging paper, you can read about the method I used here.





And now, because I know how much you all love a makeover story, here are some before and afters of the individual pieces used to put together this display!  Some I have previously blogged about and others I plan to feature in upcoming posts.  I have provided a link below the pictures that have corresponding posts.  You can also click directly on the picture for a larger view.






Read more about this frame transformation here.


Follow this link to see more photos of the set of 4 painted chairs.


Link to the pedestal table makeover story here.


Here you'll find the story behind this charming cupboard.











Thank you so much for joining me on this journey!  Over the next week or so I want to share more about the window details...the wall coverings, the accessories, the fun little projects and the bigger pieces that I haven't had a chance to tell you about previously! 

I must say a very special thank you to my wonderful mom who let me bounce ideas off of her for months, who offered much appreciated thoughts and suggestions, who designed and potted up all of the beautiful flowers and plants for the display, and who worked hard right along side of me until after midnight to pull the whole look together!  I also want to thank my sweet husband for putting up with all of the paint and extra furniture throughout the house for the past few months and for offering the use of his big, strong muscles to move everything from here to there and back again!  I never could have pulled this off without their support!  Thank you Annie Sloan, for your enthusiasm as you offered such helpful ideas in regards to paint colors that would best reflect my inspiration! 
 And thank you to JoAnn for this wonderful opportunity! 
Okay, I am beginning to sound a little like an actress accepting a Golden Globe...
ha ha!

And now, it's time to put my house back together and get caught up on the laundry that has piled up this week!  I am looking forward to finally having some time to visit all of my blog friends as well, old and new!  Thank you for sticking with me, even though I haven't been a consistent blogger lately and haven't had a chance to respond to all of your lovely comments! 
I appreciate your kind words so much...more than you know!

Until next time,

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda





Linking up to these fun parties:
White Wednesday at Faded Charm
Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home 
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Furniture Feature Friday with Miss Mustard Seed
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Party at Shades of Amber

47 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    Your display looks great!Love how you put it all together.All the painted pieces came out amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea! I love how it turned out. That quote is my favorite part in the movie, I may have rewound that part a few (hundred) times two hear him say it to her. ;) You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks enchanting, Amanda! Jane Austen would feel so comfortable here. I love all the soft colors you used, and the book pages, too. Wish I could take that beautiful buffet home with me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job of creating a Jane Austen feel. I love how you painted the brass chandelier with ASCP. I am on the hunt for a small brass chandelier for my office, of course to redo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to MOVE IN THERE! Think anyone would care? Yep...packed and ready to go! LOVE IT!

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is simply stunning! Fabulous job I love your displays, the paint choices, the huge quote and especially your photography with the before and after pics! I'd love to borrow some of your ideas! Love your Blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love, love, love Jane Austen and I really think her novels convinced me to do my JYA and then meet my English hubby! :) Looking at your window display, I was transported to one of her novels. Just lovely. Understated. I love all the pieces. Congratulations on a beautiful and elegant collections!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should be very proud Amanda, you deserve a Golden Globe for this beautiful window! So beautiful, I love every piece. I can't imagine the hours it took you to make it all look the way it does. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! Everything looks amazing :) Well done!
    Greetings from Australia♥
    ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  10. coming over from savvy southern style.
    love love your space and how you used ascp on everything.
    It's lovely!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing and beautiful! Congratulations on a job very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda, this is just so incredible! You've really found your niche in these amazing window displays. Your attention to detail is beyond wonderful! Great job, and Happy Belated birthday, have a blessed and happy year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fabulous Amanda, and I can't wait to head to Camas to check it out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amanda,
    WOW, this is just delighful! So much detail and all from scratch, that is alot of work, and all done so so well! What a great and fun talent!
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amanda you did a wonderful job! So inspiring!!
    Thank you so much for sharing...I'm going back for another peek!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply amazing, you are amazing, what can I say, absolutly amazing. That is quite an endevore and you were amazingly up to it.

    big hugs
    cindy@stitches

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amanda - Just found your blog from OHP. Your window display is amazing. Not much of a JA fan, but WOW you have made my romantic side peak out!!! Love the brass chandy turned so trendy. You have ideas bouning around in my head!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spectacular post! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks so much for sharing all the beautiful details, including the before and afters.
    Blessings & hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done Amanda! As a former store owner I know how much thought, time and work goes into a window display. And your window was a very large one to fill. You did a superb job! Congratulations.
    Blessings, Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amanda, you are amazing!!! I love every single thing you painted and stained/dyed (Jane Austen pages). I cannot wait to get over there to see this. Annie Sloan will be proud of you!! I also loved the recognition you gave to your mom and husband as well as Joann. You are a star! Of course none of us can truly imagine all the creative thinking and hard work that went into this because it is so serene and delicate and dreamy. I hope some of the pieces are still there when I finally make it over to Camas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amanda~~ What a cozy and warm window you have created. I would love to sit at the table and read and sip tea with you. Congrats!
    ~ ~Ahrisha~~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Amanda,
    I'm visiting from Kathleen's Faded Charm and I'm glad to have found you. I have so much enjoyed my visit: great great great post and stunning window display. You did an amazing job with your furniture makeover: all of your pieces look divine.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've made so many ladies want to live in a window display! Bravo for you! I LOVE every detail...
    Have an Enchanting Weekend,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW... your work is AMAZING, Amanda!!!
    I wish one day to transform furniture like you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved your idea and vision. Seeing how you thought about everything so carefully is an inspiration. Using Jane Austin as a theme...priceless
    *new follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your Jane Austen display window is absolutely charming and fabulous. I'd like to bring everything home with me. The detail is wonderful.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your idea! I am a huge Jane Austen fan and find this very inspiring. Wish I could see it in person!
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your Jane Austen display is absolutely gorgeous!! I love everything about it. I can't imagine being able to come up with something that lovely. The colors remind me very much of the 1995 Sense & Sensibility and Pride & Prejudice films. All of the furniture looks amazing! Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my little blog! I'm your newest follower now. ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very nice!
    I would love for you to stop by my party happening now to link up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow Amanda....over the top display, alot of hard work. Just looks wonderful. Your work is amazing.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much for this wonderful post and the details of how you did the beautiful transformations.
    The window display is perfect, I love it!
    xoxo
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stunning transformations!

    There is a link party going on in my blog today. I would LOVE for you to share this :)
    http://myricandreasen.blogspot.com/2012/05/link-party-and-give-away.html

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm very impressed with your attention to detail, it's gorgeous! And I'm so happy to read that you didn't destroy a truly old book. I absolutely hate to see when someone does that, it seems like a sin!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Do you ship??? I am new to your blog but love your work. I would buy the cabinet and the buffet in a heartbeat if you could ship to Phoenix!!!??? :) Amazing job.

    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  35. You had me at "Jane Austen"... But the little frame was so cute and your paintingis so perfect (that chair!) that I would have surrender to your style anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your work....thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your furniture and display looks fantastic and I'm a big Jane Austen

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is lovely! I like Jane Austin :) You did a fabulous job! I am your newest follower. I would love for you to come and link this up at my new Linky party called Rustic Restorations Weekend. I know people would love to see the transformations you did. Hope to see you there!
    http://homespunhappenings-tammy.blogspot.com/2012/05/rustic-restorations-weekend-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. dreamy!

    come visit my blog anytime!

    michele
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, be still my heart, I am moving in there with you!! LOL! I cannot imagine a more perfect theme and you captured the essence of Jane Austen so perfectly. I got to visit her home when we were in England a few years ago and my hubby still teases me about how giddy I was the whole time! :-) Thank you so much for sharing your talent and creativity with us at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful work, so feminine and gorgeous:)
    So happy to have found your blog through Trishia at French Kissed.
    Wendy
    Mulberry Muse

    ReplyDelete
  42. Amazing! You captured really well! Great job Amanda!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  43. You are so talented! Amazing makeovers and display! Love it all!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  44. You did a beautiful job! It came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  45. The window styling is professional in all details! Outstanding job...

    Judith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!