Thursday, October 25, 2012

Inspired Chifforette


 
Something that has stuck with me from Annie Sloan's American Tour Workshop was her stating that her paint was "an artists' paint."  I never really felt like an artist before I painted a piece of furniture with ASCP.  I used to buy a gallon of white paint from our local hardware store and slap coat after coat onto every piece of furniture I could find, and then I would distress it a little here and there.  The end result was good and my furniture usually sold well at the antique store, but I felt so limited in what I could accomplish with that gallon of latex paint.
 
 
I keep going back to this image of an old weathered clock on Pinterest!  I love the colors and the texture, and the way it looks as though the paint was rubbed on rather than brushed.  I knew that if this finish could be reproduced, it could be done with chalk paint.
 
 
I will admit that it's not an exact replica of the clock finish, but I think you can see where my inspiration came from.  I used a more muted pallete but aimed for a similar look. 
  
 
I found this dresser on Craigslist a couple of months ago.  According to the label, it is called a "Chifforett."  I had heard of a Chifferobe, bot not a Chifforett.  I am guessing that it is just a smaller version of a Chifferobe which would have had an armoire portion in it for hainging clothes. 
 



I felt like this piece was so unique, and in such good condition that it was worthy of a little something extra, so I splurged and ordered the pretty wreath appliques for the cupboard doors.  They are exact replicas from original antique furniture appliques.

 
The hardware on this piece is so beautiful and I loved the aged patina so well that all I did was clean it up a bit.
 
 
Inside the cupboard doors are two narrow drawers.  I wanted to do something fun with them and I imagined that a Victorian era lady might keep her undergarments in them, so I painted the words "Corsets" and "Pantaloons" on them.  If it was a Chifferobe, the armoire portion might have had lacey crinolines and petticoats hanging in it! 
 
 
I used a combination of Duck Egg Blue with Paris Grey, Paris Grey with Old White and straight Paris Grey followed by clear and dark wax.  In some lights it has a greenish hue and in others it looks more blue/grey.  I was a little frustrated trying to photograph this one as clouds kept moving through the sky, covering the sun and then revealing it again casting such variations of light into the room.  The color of the piece looked so different in each picture.  As it turns out, it looks quite different in person depending on the lighting as well.  I am anxious to hear what you think!  Do you like the variation of colors and the "rubbed on" or is it a "rubbed off" effect?  I am considering teaching this technique in my next workshop.   
 
Thank you for your sweet visit today!  Have a wonderful weekend!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 
Sharing this post with these fun link parties:
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp
Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Link Party at Redoux
Pearls and Lace Thursday at Faith, Grace and Crafts
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Potpourri Friday at 2805
Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Chalk Paint Link Party at Shades of Amber
Mod Mix Monday at Mod Vintage Life


36 comments:

  1. OMG this is so beautiful. And I agree, the ASCP does bring out the artist in all of us.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautiful and I love the wood appliques that you put on it too. I purchased some a couple of months ago, still don't know what I'm going to put them on but they are so pretty that I just couldn't pass them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I adore this transformation - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE how this piece turned out! Duck Egg and Paris Grey are the two ASCP that I would love to try first. The appliques and the writing on the inside are such amazing touches. I love the look of the whole thing! Great job as always, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what a pretty pretty piece! i love the color and finish and style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you did this. I do alot of ASCP in all the colors you used. I love how you can mix them and put your own spin on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the color combination inside. Great work. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The piece is stunning, the color combination is really has me awestruck and the appliques add a nice feminine old charm to the piece. Thank you for sharing.

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda, this is absolutely a work of art. I love the color and the wreath appliques really make it so so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE it! The color variations are wonderful! It does have a soft, rubbed on look! The piece itself is exquisite and the wreaths you added give it so much life! You should definitely teach this technique in your workshop! If I were closer, I'd be there! Thank you so much for sharing! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so pretty! I love what you did with this piece

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful job! Love the colors and especially the wreath applique, you have such wonderful ideas.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful! I love taking inspiration from something like you did with the old mora clock and then using that idea as a way to reinvent an older piece of furniture. This is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous makeover! It's very elegant now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The **Applique Wreaths** definitely make the piece!*!*!
    Lovely...
    Jeanine Burkhardt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work. You had great success trying to duplicate the clock finish. Yes, you should teach this!

    Small House / Big Sky Donna
    BLOG: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amanda,
    what a unique amazing piece you created. you ARE an artist! love the color you created: never thought of mixing paris grey with egg blue. gotta try that.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! I think it woulld make a great class! How about an on line class!?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the finish on this. I've bookmarked your site so I can come back and see everything.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just beautiful work. I just finished a similar piece in coco and aubusson blue with lots of dark wax, would love your thoughts, thanks Amanda.
    Anne
    vintagegoodsstcharlesmo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.

    phoenix painting

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love before and afters...especially when they look like this! That is one beautiful piece! Nice color and accents.
    :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  23. I came here through a pin on Pinterest and then started looking around. This is absolutely gorgeous.

    Where do you find appliques like the wreath? I've seen them on projects online but didn't know what they were called, and wandered around Home Depot for a bit but couldn't find anything like it.

    I've never refinished any kind of furniture before but have a couple of pieces I want to put in my sewing room, so I am collecting ideas. This one is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful transformation - the appliques are just exquisite and look like they were meant to be on it!
    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Simply stunning! You will be one of the features tomorrow at Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House. Pop on by and grab a feature button. Can't wait to see what you will bring to the party tomorrow. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this....its fantastic! xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it and this was a great piece to use the appliques on - great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love how this piece turned out. You are right- it deserved the appliques. You do such beautiful work. I am always inspired. Did you see how Cloches and Lavender used stencils and Plaster of Paris to make an applique?

    Love your blog. The French Hen's have joined and put your link on our page. Would love it you would do the same.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for linking up! I am sharing tomorrow at my party. Starts at 2 PST. -K

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just if finished a similar piece. my friend Ruthie and I found it on large trash night in our town. It was a mess. Even my husband has had to admit that it looks good. He made so much fun of it while I was working on it. I live on Long Island and hope to donate it to a family that has lost all their. Eli ging due to hurricane Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello, simply wanted to tell you, I loved this article. It seemed to be funny. Carry on publishing!

    http://demo.sedeveloper.com/blogs/223/393/sizegenetics-parts-why-it-is

    http://podcast.mines-nantes.fr/groups/demopu2012/wiki/6e554/penis_memorial_iceland.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Please tell me where in NZ I can buy Annie Sloan Chalk Paints?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your dresser and I would love to feature it, if that would be ok please let me know, lauren

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow - what a transformation - it looks amazing and I love the appliques - I want to try them myself now x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful piece! Did you use a brush or a rag or a sponge...? It almost looks like you used a wash and let the colors run down and together. Can you enlighten? I want to do my sideboard something like this only with an aged green/blue like a patina.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!