Thursday, January 15, 2015

Patched up Hearts: An Outdated Country Hutch Makeover for the Downton Abbey Servant's Quarters


I have some catch up posting to do!  Last month I did couple of big furniture makeovers that I just haven't had a chance to share.  Shortly after Christmas, I put together two window displays for Camas Antiques.  If you follow me on Facebook, you know what I've been up to, and  you've probably even seen a couple of these photos already.  In anticipation of the new season of Downton Abbey, I designed a window display to represent the servant's quarters and another inspired by the Abbey's drawing room.  I knew right away that I wanted an open hutch full of ironstone for the servant's quarters.  Finding one that fit into my budget was harder than I had thought it would be.  When I came across this outdated country hutch with it's little heart cut outs, I thought maybe...just maybe it could work!


The first task was to mask those country hearts.  My father in law was sweet enough to use his wood working skills to cut out some filler hearts for me.  After a whole lot of sanding, gluing, wood puttying and more sanding, there was very little trace of hearts remaining on the hutch.  This was a bit tedious and I will be the first to admit that my work isn't perfect, but it's a pretty major improvement, don't you think?


This beautiful applique from The Purple Pear was just the perfect adornment for the hutch top.  I love the little bit of elegance it adds, and would you have ever guessed that there was once a heart cut out in that very spot?  It really changed the overall look and feel of the piece!


The hutch color is Coco, two coats, sealed with clear wax only.  It was so hard for me to restrain myself and not to work in a layered technique or some gold leafing but as this piece was meant to look like it belonged in the servant's quarters, I chose to keep the finish simple and clean.


What really makes this window display is the amazing servant's bell board that was designed and hand crafted by Tommy, husband to JoAnn who is the owner of Camas Antiques!  I was thrilled with this addition for the window display!  


I really love how this window came together.  It is even better than I had imagined it could be and I have some great friends to thank for that!  I couldn't have managed two major window displays the week following Christmas without the help of my wonderful friends at Camas Antiques!

To read more about my Downton Abbey window displays and see more of the Drawing Room inspired display, please follow this link: The Drawing Room



Thank you for your sweet visit today,

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda




Sharing With:
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
 Friday's Unfolded at Nancherrow
 Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
What's it Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants 





30 comments:

  1. OMG. That is positively brilliant! I can't tell you how many pieces of furniture I have passed on because of those darn heart cut-outs. It never even occurred to me to come up with a solution like this. Thanks for sharing this fab idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to have shared a helpful idea with you! Have a great week and happy creating!

      Delete
  2. Love the heart transplant idea-brilliant !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Heart Transplant! I love that...wish I would have thought of that when I titled my post! Thank you for your kind comment! Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda. I found you through a linky party quite some time ago and have been following for a while. I'm launching my own Five Star Frugal linky party today, and I'd be honoured if you would share your lovely post there. Happy Blogging New Year.. Mimi xxx
    http://atrayofbliss.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/the-five-star-frugal-link-up-premiere.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi! Thank you so much for stopping by and for the invite to your party! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  4. I love your idea to fill in the hearts! I wouldn't have thought a heart cut out piece could be updated, but you've done an amazing job. Love it & your displays are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  5. Oh my Amanda what a stunning window! Your hutch is beautiful and that bell board is just wow! It is such a fun addition. I would love to try and figure out how to make one of those! Thank you for linking up to THT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and lovely comments, Pamela! Always great to hear from you! And thank you for hosting THT each week! I'll be by to link up today! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. The Window looks beautiful....love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  7. Hi Amanda!!!

    Love your window display!!! All of it would be coming home with me right now!!!

    Have a great weekend!!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! Lovely to hear from you! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. How gorgeous! What a lot of work - I wish I could have been there! So much fun!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennelise! Indeed, it was a lot of work, but very fun! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful hutch and window display. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  10. Oh this is fabulous Amanda!! Great work! I will feature today! Thanks for linking up with Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry! And thanks again for the feature! Such an honor! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  11. the window display is wonderful.
    I would love to have a hutch like that for my servants kitchen, I mean my kitchen LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you so much! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  12. What a fabulous display! I love all things Downton, especially the servants board.
    You did an awesome job with the hutch, the whole scene is amazing!
    I'd love to have you share with us at Ivy and Elephants. Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti! Thank you so much! I don't know how I missed linking this post up to your party! I will link up this week! Thanks so much for hosting! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  13. WOW, this is amazing, you would never know it is the same piece!!! I LOOOOVE the color, LOVE!!! Beautiful job and window display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Lovely to hear from you! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  14. OMG! I LoVe the transformation of " paint" on the shelf unit ! Awesome! Stunning!
    I know what I want to do!
    Hugs Marg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marg! So nice to hear from you! Have a wonderful weekend! Happy Painting!

      Delete
  15. OMG! I sure wish I lived near this store! You are so talented! I just finished watching one of my taped episodes of Downton! Love the transformation of the hutch. I want to try the color coco now. Did you use ASCP? Kudos to you and everyone who helped with the window display. Absolutely gorgeous! you captured the true essence of the show's rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! Yes, I used Annie Sloan's Coco. It was such a simple finish but one that everyone seems to love. Thank you for your sweet compliments! So lovely to hear from you! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!