Thursday, July 5, 2012

Weathered Folk Art Style


One look at this dresser and I knew just what I wanted to do with it.  The scalloped finish was something that had been bouncing around in my head for weeks, and when I saw the fun, curvy trim at the bottom of this piece, I was excited to accentuate it by replicating the pattern onto the drawers.  .




I didn't have any special formula or tools for transfering the pattern onto the drawers.  In fact, I used a large piece of craft paper to trace the trim piece, cut it out and then layed it directly on each drawer and painted over it.






The knobs are new, painted with Paris Grey, dry brushed with Old White, distressed and waxed.





I did a little more distressing on this piece than I usually do and was generous with the dark wax.  Somehow I felt like the style of the dresser and the pattern I painted on the drawers called for a more rustic look.  The end result reminds me a bit of a well weathered piece of early American Folk Art, which I think is fun.  This dresser would be sweet in a child's room or nursery but would also work well in a bathroom or art studio.  I love that people are thinking outside of the box with dressers these days.  They are such functional pieces, and there is really no need to banish them to the bedroom, especially if they can make a statement and serve a purpose in another room of the house.




Courtney of French Country Cottage shared some great tips last week for making your own chalkboards.  I had already purchased the supplies, but needed that bit of motivation and inspiration to get going on my projects!  Thank you, Courtney!  This was a piece that I had picked up at a garage sale.  I painted it with a mix of Paris Grey, Old White and Aubusson Blue, added the letters with stencils in Old White, distressed it and waxed it with dark wax only.





With the little key hooks and compartment for mail along with the chalkboard for leaving messages, I could see this being a very useful piece for someone's home.



I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July!  I don't know about you, but I am tired today!  Hopefully I can regain some energy soon because I have so much painting to do!  I am anxious to get some pieces completed and moved out of the garage to make room for more treasures!  My mom and I are headed out to some estate sales bright and early tomorrow morning!  I can't wait!  I hope to have some fun finds to share with you next week and will probably post sneak peeks on my Facebook page tomorrow afternoon or Saturday, so if you haven't joined me there yet, be sure to do so!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


Sharing this post with these fun link parties:
Restored it Wednesday at Restore Interiors
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Party at Shades of Amber
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp
Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse
Link Party at Redoux Interiors
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Paint Projects at Primitive and Proper