Wednesday, February 8, 2012

On the Mantle - Antique Vanity Mirror Transformed & a Whimsical Butterfly Tree!


Remember that oak mirror that came along with the sweet vanity/cabinet that I painted in Duck Egg Blue...my first chalk paint makeover?  It clearly didn't belong with the vanity, but I was happy to bring it home with me.  It didn't take long to decide what I wanted to do with it!

After a makeover in Paris Grey with Old White on the detailed flourishes, and a treatment of clear and dark waxes, it has a new home on our living room mantle!


I am still working on the mantle accessories but I love our new mirror!

Our living room is transforming, little by little! It's a slow process but I am liking where things are headed! I will be sharing more updates to the mantle, the curtain situation and craft supply storage soon! 

I took a close up of the details on the mirror before and after waxing to show you just how dramatically the dark wax alters the look of the chalk paint.

Just before distressing and waxing...


And after...



I love ASCP but I truly believe that the real magic happens when the wax is applied!




I recently purchased this clay pot for $2 and while the finish on it wasn't horrible, it wasn't right for the project I wanted to use it for.



A couple coats of paint later and the wax treatment, and it was transformed into just the container I was hoping for to hold my butterfly tree...a crafty idea I'd been scheming over for some time.




I just love how fun and whimsical this "tree" turned out.  I made up a couple for the shop as well!  See that cute little angel there?  He got waxed too! 


And those jars I showed you in yesterday's post...filled with paper butterflies for people who feel like gathering sticks and creating their own butterfly trees!



Thank you so very much for your sweet visit today!  I hope your week is going well and that you've found some time to be creative!  As a sweet friend of mine often says..."busy hands = happy heart!"

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


Joining these fun parties:
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense

19 comments:

  1. Oh I love it all Amanda...the mirror, the vase, the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mirror and your pretty vase. The colors and technique you used are just perfect.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Amanda! The Old White was a great idea for the detailed areas, it really made a difference even before you did the wax.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to pop over from Pinterest to hear the "rest of the story"! You are so clever! Love your projects so much!
    xx
    dawne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the 3rd time just this morning I have been attracted to twigs in pots. I must need to copy one huh?

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great transformation, and I always love butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been so busy with your chalk paint. I want to order some but Im very nervous about the process. Thank you for your encouraging posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mantel mirror is just beautiful. And I love the butterfly tree. I'm doing something similar for Easter with papier mache eggs & a large branch from my tree.

    You always have such clever ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I love the mirror and the planter - especially after you transformed them! I'm a first time visitor and new follower!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mirror is beautiful... Thanks for showing the before and afters of the wax, was it the wax that made it look like you sanded it? Love the effect.
    Thanks for sharing, stop by my blog sometime, you're always welcome~
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  11. The details on the mirror really show up with the paint transformation. Love how it looks on your mantel.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda, Your mirror is beautiful and your clay pot makeover turned out great! The jars filled with paper butterflies look very sweet.
    Have a great weekend!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amanda, your mirror is just gorgeous!!!! and the butterfly tree has me dreaming of Spring. just precious on your beautiful mantle!! thanks so much for linking up to the party!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. That mirror is just perfect on your mantel, Amanda! Amazing what a little ASCP and wax will do, huh? And the whole idea of your sweet little butterflies in the jars for customers to buy to make their own butterfly tree is awesome!!! :)

    xoox laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything turned out so pretty! Well done Amanda!

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous projects, Amanda!
    Thanks for sharing! (I want to try this now, as soon as possible:))
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That mirror looks gorgeous on your mantle! The close-up pics really show the details and that's what they say ...it's all about the details! (I've often wondered, who are the 'they')! lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. The mirror is gorgeos..what beautiful details! It looks so good in you mintel vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the shade of blue you used. I tagged you, Please visit my blog for more info.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!