Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fall Flowers and Foliage


I love flowers.  Sadly I don't have much blooming in my garden this Fall.  Every other year I've had a plethora of hydrangeas to pick but they just didn't bloom this year.  According to my mom, the master gardener, landscape designer...my old fashioned hydrangeas were cut back too far last winter.  Because they bloom on old growth, and the old growth was removed, they produced new foliage but no new flowers.  I am still learning about these things!  So, the dahlias and hydrangeas I used for this arrangement came from my mother-in-law's garden.  She is so sweet to share her flowers and farm fresh produce with us!
Flowers are almost always at the center of my decor in every season.  My little kitchen window sill vases which are filled with little cherry blossoms in the spring and roses in the summer, have been replaced with a collection of old white pottery filled with dried roses. 

My mom brought me this beautiful bouquet of pink and white cone-shaped hydrangeas this morning!  Aren't they amazing?  Just the most perfect shade of pink!  I am anxious to see how they dry!  I'll keep you posted!
In keeping with the flower theme today, I've made some "Fall flower" almond sugar cookies (recipe here).  This is a family recipe and one of my very favorite cookies!  I don't have the greatest frosting skills, but I have fun.
We may not have flowers in the yard this time of year, but we have some beautiful foliage.  This tree has dropped it's lovely yellow and orange leaves all over the lawn.  My husband has been anxious to mow them up, but I've asked him to hold off a day or two...as I am still enjoying them!
Our sweet pup, Basil begrudgingly posed for a photo in the leaves.  I think I'll take the kiddos out for a little leaf photo shoot this afternoon.  It looks like it's going to be a dry, but chilly Fall day...perfect for jumping in the leaves!
 
Thank you for your sweet visit today!  I hope you've had a lovely week!  Enjoy this crisp Fall day and have a wonderful weekend!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


Joining these lovely ladies for their fun blog parties...
Debra - Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Cindy - Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Sherry - Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Courtney - Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Honey - Potpourri Party at 2805

Vanessa and Heather - Inspiration Friday At the Pickett Fence
Beverly - Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound

26 comments:

  1. Linda postagem. Rosas maravilhosas. Obrigada pela beleza e PArabéns!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! What a pretty post - the flowers are gorgeous. I also had to post a comment when I saw your sweet puppy. We have two Cavaliers, Bentley and Clarabel. Aren't they the best and cutest dogs in the world! I am visiting from The Charm of Home. Would love for you to visit my blog sometime. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so lovely! Your flowers are beautiful, the cookies look yummy and the puppy in the yard is so cute!

    I appreciate your participation in Potpourri Friday. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post...from begining to end. I love the dried roses in the little containers and your dog is adorable; is it a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? I am thinking about getting a dog and that is one of the breeds I am considering.
    Have a nice weekend.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, Amanda dear! what gorgeous photos, and thanks for the tip about the hydrangeas. maybe that was part of my problem this year, mine were sad and pathetic. Love the china vases on the sill, the yummy cookies and the precious pup! thanks for sharing the inspiration, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. very pretty post! & yes, that is true about the hydrangeas - although sometimes we must sacrifice a year of blooms to keep their size in check! next year they will be beautiful! & your pooch....adorable! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How Sweet are the Blooms in the tea pot & cups.... Yum Yum to the cookie too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty and sweet post! The flowers are beautiful and you've arranged them so beautifully, I specially love the ones in the three white teapots, I may copy cat that one! Have a wonderful weekend. FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous flowers and I love the puppy! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Pink Saturday, Amanda! I love all your photos; such a pretty post! The dried roses in your white teapots make a very pretty window sill. Cute puppy too. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos! Love your flowers and your puppy in the last is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda!

    I love your fall foliage and all the PINKS you've shared for "PINK Saturday!" :) So absolutely beautiful!!!

    And like you, I too have 2 boys here in my household, so it's 3 vs. 1 here in the gender department! :) lol

    Anyway, thanks for sharing!


    Hugs,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post. I loved your bouquets in the china and your Basil is a doll! A King Charles? So cute! I love the almond sugar cookie flowers. How cute! Happy PS!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog is abaze with color and flowers. i so like it. I must check on my hydranges.. I know very little about them and I received two this year as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your center piece! The world is so much happier with flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What gorgeous photos...just beautiful! I also love the rose-in-the-shaker idea in your header. So creative! I'm hosting a weekend link-up party each weekend that features anything related to homemaking. I'd love to have you join the party, if you're interested. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely post - I hope your flowers dry out and keep that wonderful colour.

    Happy Halloween, hugs and Happy Pink Saturday from the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry your flowers did not bloom. Fingers crossed for next year and I love the photos of the dried roses. HPS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love your kitchen window and the hydranges! But then I love pink! Mix it with a little green and you have my favorite color combo. My living room is done in the darker shades, but it's still pink and green!

    P.S. found you at Pink Saturday!

    Blessings!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your beautiful flower filled post.A home does look and feel more elegant and inviting when filled with flowers. Yours is gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh your flowers are just so beautiful and that cookie recipe sounds amazing! I just bookmarked it because I am really excited to bake some of them. I am new to your blog and am so glad that I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous Amanda! I love the flowers the leaves, I love it all! Thank you for linking it to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Amanda,
    I am in awe of all the lovley dried flowers, stunning!! I loved your header so so much I pinned it in my Pintrest :-)
    I have been guilty of the over pruned Hydrangeas too :-)
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Amanda, this is my first time stopping by. You have a breathtakingly beautiful blog! What a dear little dog Basil! I have a very beloved golden retriever named Barkley. My name is Delisa, I am 48 years old and I live on the outskirts of a small town in rural Georgia. I love to write, knit and crochet. We also do not have very many flowers this time of year. I treasure flowers and love arranging them as well. We are surrounded though, by forests of beautiful pine trees and many of the farms have fields of cotton which are in full bloom. It is a beautiful time of year. I hope you have a lovely autumn afternoon! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your flowers are soooo beautiful, and wonderfully photographed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!