Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pretty May Day Basket - Easy and Inexpensive!

One of the stops that mom and I made on our sunny Saturday out treasure hunting was at a local plant nursery.  I filled a little wagon with cheerful pink snap dragons and tiny lavender and white pansies.
Most of these pretty little blooms were added to a small flower bed in our front yard, but I put a few aside for a special project.
I picked up this lovely vintage basket at a garage sale that same day.  It set me back a whole quarter!  It didn't take me long to decide what I wanted to do with it.  My mom supplied me with moss from the wooded area on my parent's property.  I love the look of the real moss, but it was crawling with insects!  If you want to put together a May Day basket for indoors, I recommend faux moss which you should be able to find at the Dollar store or your local craft store.  My basket will stay on the front porch...so the spiders are welcome to stick around, I guess.

I gently pressed the moss around the inside of the basket, with the pretty green side facing out.  Next, I made a simple liner out of aluminum foil to hold the dirt that I would soon be adding.

I then added a small amount of potting soil and started arranging my little plants inside the basket.  I filled in the gaps between the plants with more potting soil and then topped it off with a few small pieces of moss.  Done!  A pretty May Day flower basket for my front porch!  Given that the moss and potting soil I used were free, and I already had the foil, my only expenses were the flowers and basket.  The whole project cost me a little less than $5. 

According to my mom (the master gardener), my flowers should do just fine in the part shade, part sun of my covered porch.  The moss will eventually dry out and turn brown (after about two weeks).  Spritzing it with water will help it stay green a little longer.  My mom has shared memories with me about May Day traditions from when she was a little girl.  She would put together little floral arrangements, set them on neighbors porches, ring their doorbells and then run away!  Doesn't that sound like fun?  I am thinking we should bring this tradition back!  Don't you?  She did the same thing with mud pies...I doubt that would go over as well with my neighbors!



Thank you so much for your sweet visit!  Happy May Day!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

Sharing at these fun parties:
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Show and Tell at My Romantic Home
Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge
Saturday Spotlight at Craft Envy

19 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love how yours turned out. Doing a few of these and leaving them on porches or neighbors or special friends is a fun idea to spread some spring cheer. As a teacher, we sometimes do May Day "baskets" and have them take them home or deliver them to other teachers and staff around the school!
    I hope May brings some better weather, I've heard possibly some SNOW tomorrow?! Goodness!
    ~xo/michelle~

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL basket of flowers, Katie...Happy May Day to you, too! Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! I remember when I was a little girl, my grandparents had moved and their new neighbors put a may day basket on their front door as a welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty basket! And I love your blog...you're a great photographer! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog :) I'm a follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, thank you so much for your sweet comment!
    I LOVE your blog - great pictures and writing! Just had to become a new follower! ;)
    I can't wait to see more and would love to see you on Sunday at my next linky party!
    xoxo from Germany,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your wonderful blog through The Shabby Chic Cottage. Your basket of moss and flowers is so sweet and full of charm! Great job - I'm a new follower! And so looking forward to more inspiration! Thanks so very much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers and photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I taught my girls that tradition of doing May baskets on the neighbors doors when they were little. I still have my basket that Heather and her friend Sara made me and surprised me with one on my own door on May day. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Florence

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your post--I am so ready to garden with flowers. This basket idea would be pretty on my porch too. Thanks for sharing. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so pretty!
    I came by way of Rhonda's french blog...glad i did, cause i'm now following you!
    Come by and visit with me anytime! I'd love to have you!

    Ciao Bella!


    Creative Carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh My I forgot about about May day baskets. I had an older friend and she always made those. I forgot what the story is behind May day baskets something about the war?

    Yours is very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so sweet Amanda! We have lots of pretty green moss growing in our yard. Some people don't like it but I love it. I have made arrangements using the fresh moss and let it dry out naturally. And love the look of it. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and get to do a little treasure hunting. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute basket! I have fond memories of leaving May day baskets for Mrs. Loop when I was a little girl! Something my mom loved helping us do. This year Jonah gave my mom one he made at preschool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We do a silent auction on Mayday Baskets at Work to raise money for our internal fund to help employees in need. It's pretty awesome we raise a lot of money!
    I am your newest follower! Hope you stop by to see me. Your blog is way too cute!!

    http://bestpartofbelieveis.blogspot.com/
    &
    http://nikkisniknacks.blogspot.com/

    ~Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  15. so pretty, I remember how we used to make these and little cones filled with flowers to leave on someone's porch. ring the bell and run! Your basket turned out lovely! Thanks for sharing the inspiration at VIF, xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  16. BEAUTIFUL basket of flowers.you're a great photographer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!