Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Nellie's Washstand and a Whole Lot of Beautiful Iris!

Just last night, I added this sweet little 1880's oak washstand to my space at the shop!  I am so intrigued by old old furniture...and love to imagine the home it started in and the people who enjoyed it long ago.  This piece makes me think of Little House on the Prairie.  Can't you just imagine Nellie Oleson standing at it, washing her dainty hands in a big ornate bowl? 
Before I loaded it up in my truck, I set it out in front of the house and created this pretty vignette just for you!
My mom and I hit up a community yard sale event on Saturday and had a blast hopping from one sale to the next...over 40 in all!  This washstand was my big purchase for the day!
Of course I also came home with a lot of dishes...  I will share more of them with you in another post this week!
I wish I'd taken a photo of the dove-tailing to share with you.  Identifying the type of dovetailing on a piece of furniture is a great way to find it's age.  This washstand's drawers have pin and cove dovetailing which dates it to the 1880's.  Here is an example I found online...
At the end of our yard saling spree, we stopped in to see my mom's friend who is an Iris expert extraordinaire!  He was hosting an open garden!  Prepare to be amazed...
Have you ever seen so many iris in one place?
Want to see more?  Visit Chad and Dale's website, Mt. Pleasant Iris Farm.   They have an online catalog and ship their iris bulbs all across the U.S.!

I did a little thrifting today...and I found something I can hardly wait to show you.  It is the perfect accessory for my little washstand!  I wish I'd found it before I hauled the washstand to the shop...but it will still be fun to share with you later this week!  Can you guess what it is???

Thank you for your sweet visit today!  I hope you are having a lovely week!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

I will be joining these fun parties:
Wow us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Share the Love Wednesday at Very Merry Vintage Style
Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Transformations and Treasures at Pink Postcard
Treasure Hunt Thursday at Blue Creek Home

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful washstand, Amanda! The hardware on it is just gorgeous! I suppose it's a good thing you have a booth; I can't even imagine what I would have come away with at a community yard sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found you via Faded Charm. What a wonderful washstand. I'd love to have it! Reminds me of one we had when I was growing up.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That washstand is gorgeous! I love your pretty pink vignettes. Iris have a special place in my heart because my mother had lots of them. He has such gorgeous ones. I am definately going to check his site out. Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that your new purchase is a pitcher and bowl. Ideal piece for a washstand. Just want to say thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. Glad to find and follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful washstand, and such a lucky find! It won't last long in your booth! I would have had a ball going to so many garage sales in one day! There aren't very many good ones out here, phooey!!
    And those irises are just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh I love the washstand, and I loved watching Little House on the Prairie :) I love pretty dishes too, can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a Beautiful find, love the dovetails, I don't think I have seen that type before & your Irises are Fabulous.... Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the washstand and the irises, so beautiful and colorful! Wonderful post! Hugs, Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that washstand is fabulous! Your vignette is lovely! Happy White Wednesday!

    Waving from Our Back Porch,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda! What a lovely washstand and the vignette you've created on top of is is beautiful! Such pretty flowers.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty washstand and the way that your photographed it is wonderful. The iris ~ amazing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda
    You found a real treasure.
    And I adore anything oak...it is just so warm.
    Love the irises..you did them proud with your photography skills.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous find and your photos are beautiful. So happy to be your newest follower from White Wednesday.
    Laura
    http://www.imsovintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    I visited your blog today. It is so pretty, charming, and unique. I love roses, especially red. Your photos are lovely. Me and my daughters just started a new blog, and we would love it if you could visit us and follow. We recently did a post in June on "Home Treasures," and you can see our treasures that mean so much to us and get to know us a little better. I have never met anyone blogging who has been so sincere about receiving comments. I really liked that. Hope to hear from you, and have a sweet day.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful piece. I love all your photos too--great styling! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amanda,
    Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. It has really made me smile.

    I love the wash stand, it really does look like it should be in Nelly Olsen's bedroom.

    I've enjoyed reading your blog and I am your newest follower.

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the washstand and I learned something new from you. I didn't know there were different kinds of dovetail. Thanks!
    I bet that mean Nellie Olsen still doesn't know that!!!
    Thanks for coming to THT.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos--and the hardware on that washstand (swoon)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amanda,
    This is my first time to visit your lovely blog. Your beautiful vignette on the washstand was so enjoyable.
    The pink roses so divine.
    Also the irises were to die for........such visions of lovliness!!
    Enjoyed my visit very much, and just so you know, I am nothing like Nellie Olson, at least I don't think I am!! lol
    Blessings to you and yours,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a really nice piece Amanda!! My grandma's name was Nellie and her favorite color was pink...LHP was one of my favorite shows growing up. This was such a nostalgic post for me. :) thanks so much for sharing at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a really nice piece Amanda!! My grandma's name was Nellie and her favorite color was pink...LHP was one of my favorite shows growing up. This was such a nostalgic post for me. :) thanks so much for sharing at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous piece! Just wanted to stop by and invite you to Treasure Hunt Thursday formerly over at Blue Creek Home. Rhonda has passed it on to me and I would be honored for you to join us!:) Party starts at 8 pm central tonight!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!