Monday, July 25, 2011

Vintage Berry Bowls and Berry Filled Scones

                                        
Do you have a set of berry bowls in your china cabinet?  I find them so charming.  It is seldom that they are used for berries at our house, but we do use them quite frequently.  They work so well for condiments, butter and jam.  And they are great for those of us who are working on eating smaller portions!  A friend of mine went on a shopping spree and collected a set of mismatched berry bowls for herself when she started a weight loss program.  I thought this was a great idea.  Starting a diet is never fun, but an excuse to shop for dishes is always a good thing!
My mother-in-law picked these gorgeous raspberries from her garden this week!
We have a few small blueberry bushes in our yard that are just starting to produce a hand full of delicious berries every few days!  Aren't these pink depression glass bowls sweet?
I love my German berry bowls.  I purchased them on EBay ages ago, at the beginning of my obsession with pink roses!
I just polished this serving spoon along with a lot of mismatched vintage flatware to deliver to the shop this week!  So fun!
I have several favorite scone recipes!  The one I used today is Grandma Johnson's Scones.  What I really wanted to share with you here is this great method for adding fresh or frozen berries to any scone recipe.
Pat your dough into 10" rounds (this recipe made 2).  Add whatever berries you like to the center of the round, leaving about a 2" perimeter.
With floured hands, carefully fold the perimeter up to fully enclose the berries in the dough.  (On a side note, I just found these lovely McCoy mixing bowls at a sale over the weekend!  They look so pretty in my kitchen, but I just can't justify keeping them!  They will be making their way to the shop this week!)
Using a sharp knife, cut the round into 8 triangles.  If you want your scones to be pretty, it's best to clean your knife in between slices.
Be sure to serve your Berry filled scone with whipped cream and more fresh berries!  Yummmm!!!
Don't forget a cup of tea!
I've shared it before, but in case you missed it...this is my favorite little tea set, picked up at an estate sale for $10!  It has no markings.  I took it to an appraisal day at the antique shop and learned that it was German, from the late 1800's and worth $200-$300!  It's probably my all-time favorite estate sale find.  Of course I didn't know just how beautiful it was until I brought it home and washed it!  And if it hadn't been so filthy at the estate sale, I'm sure someone else would have snagged it before I did!  Treasure hunting is so much fun!

I hope you had a lovely weekend!  Thank you so much for your sweet visit today!  I did a little painting over the weekend, a few things I thought I was preparing for the shop but as it turns out they look quite at home in our living room...so I think they're going to stay put for a while.  I'll share soon!  Can't wait to see what you've all been up to! 

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda



Sharing with these fun parties:
Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia