Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A Collage From the Heart


I spent an evening last weekend putting together a little project that's been on my mind and my heart for several months now. This beautiful antique oval frame came complete with the original convex glass but no portrait or painting inside. It was a garage sale bargain at $10. I rarely find these frames with the curved glass intact and always thought how fun it would be to create a dimensional collage to display inside.

I had so much fun putting this together and it's a sentimental piece for sure. The boy in the photo is my grandpa and the skeleton keys are a part of his extensive collection which I inherited when he passed away. I featured them in a blog post 6 years ago here. Although I have enjoyed the keys in various vignettes around our house over the years, I am so happy to have my favorites displayed with grandpa's photo.

Being a bit of a ham, he would have gotten such a kick out this little project of mine.


Currently the collage is hanging in my studio.  The small cabinet is another recent addition and although it probably won't stay here, I am liking this little vignette, until something else comes along.  Of course I love the cabinet's style and the wood is actually quite beautiful, so I probably won't paint it but...it's a humidor!  The inside is actually lined in marble.  It's a sturdy piece and incredibly heavy, but it has a few condition issues that I haven't figured out how to fix quite yet.  So, I'll just enjoy it for a while longer!

Thank you for your sweet visit!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda