Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Repurposed Antique Radio Cabinet...Completed!


It's done!  Finally, the little project I've been hinting at is completed and I think it is definitely worthy of a post.  (I was a bit skeptical at first...shhhhh, don't tell my hubby!)  This was actually his idea and I do love that he thought to repurpose and upcycle an antique furniture piece!  My kinda man!



Funny thing is...I bought this little radio cabinet at a thrift shop because I thought it had a sweet style, then stuck it in our garage not knowing what exactly I wanted to do with it.  My hubby passed by that cabinet twice a day for almost 2 weeks before he noticed it!  I am not exaggerating...he walked right by it at least twice a day!  Typical guy, right?  Gotta love 'em!  "Where did that old radio cabinet come from?" he asked.  As soon as he said it I knew what he was thinking.  He had just been complaining about the big, cheaply made media cabinet in our family room.  I wasn't crazy about it either.  The problem with this radio cabinet was that it didn't open in the front like we needed it to for our electronics.  Hubby insisted that it could be done.  This is where I had my doubts.  I never should have doubted him!  He loaded it up in our truck, took it to his dad's shop and brought it back with a hinged door!  It turned out beautifully!  Of course I gave it a romantic, shabby look with a few coats of cream paint, a little distressing and a ruffly skirt but I am giving the majority of the credit to my honey this time!  Okay, I do my best to only show you pretty things...but I must show just one photo of the ugly black boxes, just so you can see how well everything fits!


I just love how the smaller cabinet opens up our family room.  The room is much more balanced now without the giant media cabinet.



Yes, those are dinosaurs on the coffee table!  I actually picked them up and staged a pretty tea set instead but it just looked wrong to me!  I've honestly never set a tea service on this table before.  This is our family room where we watch movies and play board games with our two busy little boys.  So, I put the tea set back in the china cabinet and set the dinosaurs back out on the table...keeping it real!



Bootsie thought "Oh boy, mom made me a new hangout...the perfect place to jump out and attack the feet of anyone who passes by!"


The picnic basket on top of the cabinet is the one I picked up from Apron Strings Productions at the Junk Salvation Flea on Saturday!  If you didn't see my post about the show, you can read it here.  I am sure you'll recognize many of the amazingly talented dealers who were there!  It was such a treat to meet them in person.  Ladies such as Kathleen with Faded Charm whom I will be linking up with tonight for White Wednesday

I am also going to join these fun linky parties:
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesdays Treasures
The Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
French Country Cottage for Feather Your Nest Friday

Thank you for stopping by!  I hope you've enjoyed your visit!  And a special thank you to my sweet hubby who lovingly supports (or puts up with) my love of pretty pink things and who still surprises me after nearly 10 years of wedded bliss!  Love you honey!

Best Wishes and Blessings to You All!

Amanda

28 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! Thanks so much for stopping by to see me ~ Your music cabinet turned out GORGEOUS!!! It looks wonderful in your living room too...I love the dinosaurs on the coffee table!!! xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cabinet is beautiful.
    I love the Kitty Cat sleeping underneath the ruffle.
    Beautiful post.
    Love,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar cabinet I've had for years. I never thought to put a hinge to open the front. I'll tell my husband he has a new project as soon as he gets home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! These are the best! When you not only make something beautiful, but it becomes part of making your whole house - and life - work better, too! Awesome. Hurray for you and hubs! I love how it turned out... adorable.
    BTW, I have Star Wars Legos appearing regularly in all my "vignettes", so I get it! ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely LOVE how your music cabinet turned out! The skirt looks so pretty on it! You family room looks so charming and cozy ... the perfect place just to hang!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous and I love the ruffles, so pretty!
    Thanks for linking, love your blog!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda, this is so cute. I love that you left the dinosaurs on the table!! I saw a cabinet similar to this at the GW at the coast...mabye the same one? ;)
    it turned out darling, and your room looks fabulous. Too bad we didn't run into each other at JS over the weekend!
    Thanks for linking up~

    ReplyDelete
  8. The radio cabinet turned out stunning!!! I really Love it...how clever...you two make a great team! I am so happy to see the picnic basket found it's home! Gotta love the dino's keeping it real...I've got the unstopable duo of Buzz and Woody neatly displayed on my living room floor!
    Hope to see you soon!
    Hugs,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea...it turned out beautifullly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the cutest project. You give me the best ideas. Kudos to your love.
    http://twotulipstalking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. love how you used the fabric!
    gives a romantic touch!
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, I love this! Now I want to find an old radio cabinet. Hop over to my bog for my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Amanda! I wanted to stop by and say "thank you" for visiting my blog and becoming a follower. I certainly enjoyed my visit at your lovely blog and look forward to visiting again.

    I can't leave without telling you how wonderful your radio cabinet transformation is! I particularly love the ruffles. The cabinet fits so beautifully in your pretty room!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous, it just has so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely post & great blog.

    your newest follower.

    Visit me @
    www.luckysparkle.blogspot.com

    ♥Anya

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an amazing transformation and it's beautiful! I want one! LOL
    LOVE the cat under the cabinet. Cutest thing ever!
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you did! It looks fantastic.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so adorable! I'm in love with those ruffles!
    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Amanda,
    What a terrific cabinet! Your hubby did a great job, and I love the skirted bottom, too.
    Your living room is gorgeous!
    - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there Amanda~ This came out so darn charming- love it! - and what a sweet hubby to make it work for hiding the media too! I love the ruffles on the bottom too- such a great touch! Thanks for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE it done white!!
    What a great idea!

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous cabinet! I have a thing for ruffled skirts on furniture! Your room looks so serene and comfortable!

    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful! What a great idea to use for storing the cable box. I have to tell you, I especially love that room...so cozy and comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's beautiful! And how fun that you did it together! Love all those tooth fairy pillows too! Adorable. :-)

    Happy Valentine's Day to you and Cameron!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, that turned out so great. You can barely tell that the front has been cut to make a door.

    I remember my grand-dads old radio- it was some what different...but would have made a cool cabinet. I see these all the time at the flea market.
    yours is so sweet with the skirt.
    great job to you and your honey!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing! U have inspired me. I have one of these sitting in my basement. I am in Love with this idea! Your ruffle makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How did you cut the front out to make the door? What sort of saw? I have one I'm trying to do this to and I'm stuck on how to cut that front panel out and get a nice straight line. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!